This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Max HR and Risks

I am 49, male and in pretty good shape. I know my max HR is supposed to be 171 but I often train at higher rates. My recovery HR, according to my Garmin Instinct, is about 70 beats (drop) in 90 seconds, provided I sit still. But people tell me this is bad (the high HR, not the recovery). Yet although riding up a hill with an HR at 180 is hardly easy, I can get it done. If anybody needs to see my HR data I can add them on Strava. Sorry to waffle on, my question is, should I be keeping my HR below 171 at all times or should I just train within what my body tells me I can do?

• www.runnersworld.com/.../

This states the calculation is more a myth (maybe valid on average, but not a 'deadline'  individually :-) I stay within my max typically but I have seen that effort versus heartrate shifts with training regularly and it is sort of my natural point where I feel good about the exercise when I am at max or a little above. Due to my exercise (crosstraining) it is natural to have the cadans and resistance at that level. The article somewhat points at this, but also says bursts are fine to reach above that provided you listen to your body. I think that is what you are doing, so I would not worry too much.

Second remark, don't trust optical too much, if you want correct heartrate measurements use a strap based on electric pulses. My optical armband over exaggerates a bit as well (2-4 beats/min).

• Will use my chest strap too.

• The "calculation" is nothing but a calculation. There are different formulas with different results. Being in a similar situation myself I've been checking this a bit, as in 2016 I've run a race where basically my average HR was higher than the calculated max HR (age 38, formula 220-age means 172, my avg was 174, avg from last 5 km was around 182, maximum 193). 

I wouldn't say some random calculation is correct, as when I tried https://mymottiv.com/heart-rate-training-zone-calculator/ , I ended with max HR @ 193 again (age nearly 45), and with resting HR around 53 I had to change my zones a bit. On the other side, better be safe than sorry, especially if you've got a family (which you probably have). My doctor checked my heart and said there's no reason for me to go for some tests, but if I want... I'm free to.

You shall also not ignore the fact wrist HR is not "that" accurate ( https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/healthandwellness/f/vivoactive-3-3-music/321670/bad-hr-accurancy ) but I'd trusted to maximum HR. Whatever, I ended up trying to focus on low HR training to get faster a bit, as years of running races around 180 HR seems to me really high, as my friend can perform basically better than me with avg HR around 20-25 lower.

• Hi, thanks, helpful, although blissfully I have no family. I was just remarking today how the reality gets better year by year. I am however always happy for those who do. Best wishes!!!