This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Vivoactive 3: Measures distance but not position. Waiting for GPS doesn't work

For a while now, my Garmin was taking too long to get a GPS fix. However, I found that if I just start the activity (usually run) it gives the distance.

This carried on for some time, but then I noticed that my recorded activities had no map and no position data. They still had distance and speed data.

Now I've tried "Waiting for GPS" for several hours, until the battery runs flat. A week ago I did manage to get a fix, and recorded an activity with map, but since then, it refuses to find the position, even after hours of being still, with a view of the sky.

I also suspect that - without position data - it over states how far I run in football (soccer). Though jogging seems accurate.

I know that GPS first-fix takes a lot of processing, but this is clearly not working. I've tried syncing with Garmin Connect and Garmin Express (sazs Software version 8.10 with "no new updates"). But still, get a permanent "Waiting for GPS" activity.

I've tried with GPS + Galileo, and just GPS. Same result. 

I think the GPS sensors are working as it gives distance (which is just change of position) and speed (which is just change of distance), but it can't somehow locate the absolute position.

Any suggestions?

• Other than trying the different combinations of GPS satellite services (which it sounds like you are), I have no further advice to offer as to how to get your Garmin to get a satellite fix beyond being outdoors in the clear, which you have been. FWIW, you posted this in the "Venu" section. You might get clearer guidance in the Vivoactive section. Best wishes for a solution.

• First I’d check your GPS version under system, about, software versions.  This happened to me once where my software version was 0.0 and we couldn’t fix it.  They ended up sending me a replacement.  I’d contact support.garmin.com and start a chat.