This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Very Low Resting Heart Rate & Poor VO2 Max Score

Hi All.

Over the past 4 weeks I have tried hard to drop some weight and improve my overall fitness.

These efforts have included regular walks (around 5 miles per day / 4 times a week) and eating much healthier.

I have dropped 20 pounds in four weeks and my resting heart rate has declined from an average of 53 bpm to 43 bpm.

I know I'm not a super athlete but over the same period my VO2 Max Score has gone from an score of 34 to now 31.

My VO2 Max Score is going backwards and is inconsistent with my other health readings.

I feel much fitter and healthier but concerned about my fitness.

I normally walk the 5 miles in just over 1hr:8min but have trouble running due to knee replacement surgery.

Any suggestions on the VO2 Max Score please.

Thanks for reading.

Col 

• If you feel well, dont mind about the Vo2max.

Vo2max is an calculation of Pace, HFmax, resting HF and average HF in activity. If you lowered yout resting HF, the difference between resting HF and average HF in activity is higher then before, that leads to an lower vo2max in calculation.

Only have an german version of an calculator, but its easy to understand. Play around with the values and youll learn. pacerechner.net/.../

• I have this exact problem.  I'm really disappointed that the VO2 seems to have gone haywire, but I am quite sure I do NOT have the fitness of a 79-year-old

• I have seen the same thing.  I take these kinds of metrics with a grain of salt.  They're good estimations, but no where near perfect.  My VO2 Max went down from 44 to 41 over the course of 4 months when my overall fitness level has increased dramatically.  I run several miles 4 times a week.  I KNOW I'm in better shape now than when I first got this watch. 

So, like the first response, if you feel good, don't worry too much about the estimations.  If you want a true VO2 Max measurement, you'll have to go to a stress lab because it's impossible to get a true VO2 Max from a watch. 

• Keep in mind that you have to update your personal information as your conditioning improves, i.e., your RHR and your weight change. If these values change as you train, but you don't update the information, the calculation will be off.  It's also beneficial if you have a real measurement of your max heart rate.