This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vivoactive 3 Altimeter stopped working

My Vivoactive 3 altimeter hasn't worked since the end of July. It worked fine one day, and did nothing the next. I've tried making sure the hole is clear, I restarted the watch, and tried recalibrating through the compass. I also tried starting a GPS activity and waiting 30 seconds before pushing the start button. It's a good 2.5 years old, so I'm guessing it's on its last leg but I'm willing to attempt any suggestions.

• Afraid I don't have any advice - but the altimeter on my Vivoactive 3 stopped working 21st November, 2021. Same as you - tried restarting, recalibrating, waiting 30 seconds with a GPS connection. No joy.
    It doesn't record floors climbed and it mostly doesn't record any elevation when doing activity, but every now and then it records crazy elevation
    e.g. 500m+ for a cycle that is only 120m (its my daily commute)

• After 3,5 Years Altimeter stopped working, Watch shows -20000m, connect 6800m.

cleaning did not help, Seems not to be built fit eternity,  but at least 5 years would have been nice. Frowning2

• Same problem here, but I think this started with one of the latest firmware updates.

• Here's a way to check whether the sensor is actually working.

To access Test Mode:

1. With unit in “off” state, turn the unit on
    2. As soon as the display turns on, press and hold the button
    3. Wait for the unit to vibrate 3 times and release the button (there will be a long gap between the second

and third vibrations). The unit will then enter test mode.

o    vivoactive 3: Press the button 15 times to access the Barometer Test screen

To exit Forced Test Mode:

1. Press the button (vivoactive 3: 5 times)
    2. You should see the screen "Press and hold the power button to disable forced test mode"
    3. As directed, press and hold the power button until the Garmin triangle appears, indicating the device is powering back to normal mode.
  • did not know you could do that!

Barometer Test

Valid? Valid

Local Pressure: 820374.88

Base Pressure: 834225.25

Local Altitude: 140.99

Baro Temp (C): 298.76

no. its not in an oven.

• Next thing to do is to calibrate the sensor. Choose an activity that uses the sensor like floor climb or run or walk or cycle and wait for 30 seconds before pressing start. There are a few barometric pressure IQ apps that you can install. I've used this one in the past but there are many more.

• used the floor climb activity, waited a minute (just to be sure) then went back into test mode - showing the same readings.
    guessing it isn't calibrating.

• today I tried to downgrade the firmware of my vivoactive, now I have version 7.70. the altitude on the altimeter is not very precise, but stable. it is already an improvement, let's see if it works

• Thanks a lot !!!! sorry to my bad german-english ;)

I had the same problem for months. Today I started the barometer test, started „walking“, waited for 30 seconds, started walking for 2 minutes and suddenly the altimeter showed the first time instead the wrong 1023m the correct 341m

Yeah - THANKS

• Did you every resolve this? Mine is showing similar.  Barometer valid and high temperature. I don't get any floors climbed during activities.