This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

vivoactive 3 music HR transmission problem

Hello,

I cant get my vivoactive 3 music to send my heart rate consistenly to my Garmin Edge 820, Edge 810 or PC.

If I start sending my HR in the settings the display of my vivoactive shows the HR and it looks like its transmitting. On all of my devices the vivoactive shows up as a HR sensor and the transmission works for a view minutes. After a while my device loses the connection and starts searching for a HR sensor. The display of my vivoactive however stays the same, I can see my HR and it looks like its sending. If I dont stop and then start sending my HR again, my device wont connect to my vivoactive for the rest of my training session. If I restart the transmission, my device picks up the vivoactive but loses connection again after a few minutes.

I have tried sending my HR to my Edge 820, Edge 810 and PC, all have the exact same connection problem.

List of what I have done (with Edge 820 as example for device):

- start Edge 820

- start HR transmission in settings of vivoactive 3 music, Edge 820 picks up vivoactive as HR sensor

- start training session on Edge 820, start riding my bike

- after a few minutes: Edge 820 shows no HR, vivoactive looks like its sending

- if I do nothing: Edge 820 records no HR for the rest of my training session

- if I restart sending HR in settings of vivoactive: Edge 820 picks up vivoactive as HR sensor but loses it again in a few minutes

What I have tried so far (Edge 820 as example again):

- restart vivoactive and Edge 820

- install newest software on vivoactive and Edge 820 with Garmin Connect App and Garmin Express

- reset vivoactive

- remove vivoactive as HR sensor from Edge 820, then adding it as HR sensor again

- first I thought my vivoactive isnt working properly (because I tried multiple devices and had the same problem every time). So I sent it to the repair shop and got a completely new vivoactive 3 music, but it has the exact same problem with the HR transmission

Here I have an example for the HR transmission just stopping. I tried restarting the HR transmission 5 times as you can see in the picture.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the vivoactive not compatible with all of my devices for HR transmission?

Thanks!

• Is there no one who had that problem and/or knows what to do? Garmin Chat Support said its an unknown issue.

• I was curious, so I setup with my Va3M running 5.61 with an old android app from the playstore (ANT+ HR Monitor) to show the HR. It also stops after a few minutes and when I stop/start the transmit it picks it up again. So, the app is still searching and picks it up when I restart the Va3M sending. My conclusion is like yours that the watch seems to be unable to recover from a glicth in the connection or just stops sending after a few minutes until a manual stop/start. 

I notice that the time when it fails differs a bit, sometimes it stops fast, sometimes it takes a while, seems like a glitch during the ANT+ connection messes it up and then it will not be detected anymore. 

• I just tried a vivoactive 3 of a family member. The HR transmission from his vivoactive works just fine with my Edge 820. Seems like the glitch only happens with the music variant of the vivoactive 3.

• My Va3M suddenly stopped working with my Edge 520, back in mid Feb, exactly the same as yours has, whereby the HR transmission just drops out after 2mins.

I've tried numerous things to get it to work, finally I've got a working solution.

This is what I've done to get mine to work.

On the Va3M go into ‘settings’, ‘Activities & Apps’, ‘Bike’, ‘bike settings’, enabled, but ensure GPS is turned off.

Then go into HR settings & enable 'Broadcast in activity', but don’t enable 'broadcast'.

When you next go for a ride, activate Bike activity & press start stop. At the end of the ride, end & discard the activity.

I've tested this a few times & the HR transmission has run each time without any drop outs.

• I have had the same problem, with my edge explore. Did a hard reset of my va (advice from garmin), and it seemed to be working, but the next day dame problem. As the ohr is less accurate I bought the dual hrm from garmin for my bikerides... (The only time I want my heartrate to be on another device...)

For me, it seems the problem started with the upgrade to fw 7.3, september last year was the last time my va worked, when I started biking again in March the issue arose.

• I have a vivoactive 4 and after the last firmware update, my watch stops broadcasting my heart rate after about 25 minutes. Happens when connected to my computer via ANT+ and when connected to my Wahoo Roam. Waiting for an answer from Garmin support.