This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I track walks without affecting VO2 max?

I've been hiking every weekend the last few months and I've noticed my VO2 has steadily been going *down*. Apparently at the age of 39 I have the fitness of a 63 year old. 

I think the reason for this is when I'm walking in the hills I am using the "walk" function on my Vivoactive 3 and it is not taking into account the fact I'm climbing steep hills as the reason for my high heart rate and slower pace. 

How can I track these walks without affecting the VO2 score? 

• As far as i know, walking activity does not count for vo2max.

Maybe you created an new activity and used an run activity for it?

• No, I never use any of the other trackers. Just walking for outside, and treadmill for the gym. Those are the only two. 

I've read elsewhere in the forums that walking does contribute to VO2 max. 

• walking does contribute if you are outside using your GPS. You can test your Vo2 by either running or “brisk walking”. I like you started out with a great V02 (it said I had the body of a 30 year old in February) but since then despite continued running and increased distances and improved times it now say I should be 77 years old! I think the issues is I use the “walk” activity (that uses the GPS) when I am out with the wife and dog leisurely walking around the neighborhood (stopping frequently to let the dog sniff, relieve herself, pickup after her, talk to neighbors, smell the flowers) so I am not walking “briskly”. I think it is only measuring HR, distance and time it’s taking me to cover that distance. Maybe that is happening during you hikes? I sure hope I more for fit than a 77 year old

• It definitely counts walking activities for VO2

• I've had this same problem.  Just completed a 3.5 mile walk without my heart rate above 110, and I'm apparently a 79-year-old