This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Watch Broken Where the Band Connects To The Case

18 months after purchase I basically have a fitness tracker that I have to tape to my wrist or pin to my shirt…Sitting at my desk the other day my VAM3 just fell of my wrist.  Thought the band just came undone.  Nope one of the 4 band contact points is broken off.  After closer inspection there are small cracks on the remaining 3 points of contact.  Sorry but, these devices are way too expensive to be rendered useless after 18 months of wear.  While I wear it nearly 24 hours a day, it hasn’t been abused, I sit at a desk all day long, run with it most mornings/evenings and take it on the occasional swim.  I’ve had cheap plastic Timex watches that have lasted literally a decades!

Very disappointed because this watch did everything I wanted a watch to do, except last.  I reached out to Garmin via messenger as others suggested, no response yet…Apparently this isn’t unique to my watch or even the VAM3, there are many complaints from customers having the same issue on Vivoactives and Forerunner models.  I hope they fix this flaw and make a watch that will actually last, until then I won’t be buying another Garmin.

• Result. Did what you suggested and they've agreed to replace it. I am so happy! Hats off to Garmin for their understanding!

• Great.  Congrats!

I'll share that the replacement I received was not only immaculate - like totally brand new - the battery life is beyond anything I ever saw with my previous device.  I am very happy with Garmin's customer service.

• The same has just happened to me. I really hope that they fix it (I am still within the legal guarantee period) as I quite like the watch and use it on a daily basis... Quite bizarre that this seems to be such a common problem for a watch that costed almost €300

• It appears to be an inherent issue with this watch.  IMO, you should have no problem whatsoever since you are still under warranty.  Let us know how it turns out.

• Garmin were absolutely fine replacing mine under warranty that broke after about 20 months - re-furbished replacement was like new. Better condition than my original that's for sure.

• I had very good luck using Messenger as well. I am supposed to get a refurbished version soon. I am afraid it will also end up breaking as this seems like a flaw. Now I am looking for a band that might not stress the connection as much. I don't sleep in mine or wear it in the shower, so I am taking it off daily. If anyone has a better band suggestion, I would love to hear it!

• I too have this problem. My Vivoactive HR is just over 2 years old, and is now useless. I looked at eht newer models that list a stainless steel, but that reference is not  to the body or lugs but just the bezels. After owning a Microsoft band and 2 Garmins, now think a different make may be better designed and manufactured.

I have supported Garmin for years, and have had about 6 GPS units with minimal problems. No More..

• I'm on my 2nd Forerunner 645. The first broke where the watch band connects in less than one year. My current one (a refurbished replacement) broke yesterday after 15 months. I'm hoping they'll replace this one, as well 

I'm curious as to why they don't just use stainless cases. Seems that would eliminate this, apparently very common, issue!

• This happened to me TWICE with a Forerunner 645. The first one broke after less than a year. The refurbished replacement they sent me just broke yesterday, after 15 months. I sure hope they'll replace it!

I mean, it's a $400+ watch... should last years not months!

I LOVE Garmin products... however... I don't understand why they wouldn't just replace the plastic casing with metal. Although more costly, it seems they'd save quite a bit in the returns dept.

• I'm on my 2nd Forerunner 645. The first broke where the watch band connects in less than one year. My current one (a refurbished replacement) broke yesterday after 15 months. I'm hoping they'll replace this one, as well 

I'm curious as to why they don't just use stainless cases. Seems that would eliminate this, apparently very common, issue!