This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Altitude decreases during activity - Vivoactive 3

HI everyone. Benoit from Canada here. Anybody knows how why altitude is always decreasing during activity (see attached). In this activity I was going up/down stairs at work and each time altitude drops by 2-5 meters...Same problem when I run. Is it because of my sweat? I took a look at the forum and saw a lot of problem with the altimeter but not this particular one. Thanks in advance!

• I posted about this earlier in the year, and others have posted this problem as well.  https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/healthandwellness/f/vivoactive-3-3-music/164940/altimeter-still-thinks-i-m-going-downhill

There are so many other complaints about the altimeter and barometer, I can see why you didn’t find mention of this particular issue.  Anyway, this is still happening to me, every single activity since a firmware update in January of ‘19.  I’m positive it’s a firmware problem because it is so reliably consistent, but I can’t prove that.  Basically, GPS calibrates altitude once at the start of the activity and then goes downhill after that.  GPS does not recalibrate elevation during an activity.  

I’ve more or less given up hoping this will be fixed.  I’d install an older firmware, but Garmin doesn’t allow that.  I’d also turn on elevation correction by default in Garmin Connect, but they also don’t allow that.  I would manually calibrate elevation, but Garmin disabled that.  Love my VA3 otherwise, but the altimeter is not good, and probably made worse with buggy firmware.