This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vivoactive 3 stopped charging and completely dead

I bought my VA3  2018 July and it was working flawlessly for an year. It stopped charing recently and was completely dead. I checked with Garmin local dealer and they confirmed that there's no issue with contacts or the charging cable. After further inspection, they confirmed that regulator ic on the internal board has been completely burnt and said that they are in no position of repairing such as the Garmin won't facilitate such repairs. I have been using my original samsung phone charger to charge my watch all this time.

Im realy dissappointed with Garmin since my watch became completely useless at end of one year usage. I wish Garmin or someone else would help me to figure this out. Thanks.

• they confirmed that regulator ic on the internal board has been completely burnt and said that they are in no position of repairing such as the Garmin won't facilitate such repairs. I have been using my original samsung phone charger to charge my watch all this time

Maybe using the wrong charger was the cause of the internal board being burnt.  If this is the case, this isn't Garmin's fault.

• You are aware that Garmin doesn't include a charger in the box right ? Besides, this is a lame excuse, the charging circuitry in phones and devices are able to handle small variations in voltage for example - and even more actually

• Every watch I have bought from Garmin has included a charging cable. 
  • They all come with charging/data cables.  The charging circuitry being able to handle small variations in voltage is irrelevant when using another manufacturer's product.  Garmin's warranty applies to Garmin, not Samsung, hence my "lame excuse" as you referred to it.  This is from the ISPI that comes with the VA3 series:

"If using an external battery charger, only use the Garmin* accessory approved for you product."

It also states:

"Do not use a power and/or data cable that is not approved or supplied by Garmin."

• Does Garmin have ducmentation  as to what the UBS  power source should be in terms of voltage and amperage? Cheap asses should provide an power adapter!

• Are you talking the wall plug adapter that you plug your charging cord into

• Does Garmin have ducmentation  as to what the UBS  power source should be in terms of voltage and amperage?

Of course there'll be documentation somewhere.  Do a web search for that info or call/email Garmin if you can't find it.

• I had been using this charger for a year and no problem so ever. If Garmin are so keen on their own chargers why don't they sell it with the watch. Pretty sure problem is not with the charger as I have used it with my previous Garmin watch which is still functional. And I had been using the original Garmin cable for charging and data transfer all this time. 

After all, doesn't Garmin have technical service system to repair this kind of issues even if the customer willing to pay for the service ? 

• If Garmin is so into their own chargers, they should clearly provide relevant information with the documentation provided with the box, not somewhere in the internet. The documentation in the box does not provide any recommendation related to charger to be used for charging. 

• Maybe using the wrong charger was the cause of the internal board being burnt.  If this is the case, this isn't Garmin's fault.

I had been using this charger for a year and no problem so ever. If Garmin are so keen on their own chargers why don't they sell it with the watch. Pretty sure problem is not with the charger as I have used it with my previous Garmin watch which is still functional. And I had been using the original Garmin cable for charging and data transfer all this time. 

After all, doesn't Garmin have technical service system to repair this kind of issues even if the customer willing to pay for the service ?