This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Running Distance Off by a huge distance

I recently participated in a 10K event and noticed that my watch's distance tracking for running was off by a lot. It was measuring more than actual distance. My watch had completed 3.5 miles when I reached the actual 5k mark (off by 0.39 miles). Having a 0.1mi difference could have been understood due to my starting position and events tracking via corners etc but 0.39 mi was a lot. It didn't end there. The gap kept on increasing and i finished at 7 miles for a 10k distance. That's off by 0.8 miles in total. My friend who was running right next to me with an Apple watch had 6.3 miles on his watch.

I didn't have GPS switched on but I have run before with the same watch with GPS turned watch and it was way more accurate earlier. Anyone with same issue? Any solutions?

• I have the same problem with my vivoactive3. I ran with my forerunner 235 on a track with distances, and it proved very accurate. when I run with vivoactive3, there is a difference of 20m every 300m. I would also like to know if there is any problem with the configuration or is it any update that should be done.

• "I didn't have GPS switched on"

It's only ever going to be an estimate without the GPS unfortunately - all it can do is multiply your cadence by a stride length.

• I run many times with running partners who have non Vivoactive watches. I am off (shorted) a half mile for every 6 miles. Over a years running and that is some major missing mileage on my mileage goal 

• Since update 3.90, I have the same problem, see the example below:

run activity on Vivomove 3S w/o GPS connected: 33:16, 7,25 km, 4:35 min/km, 170 steps/min, 1.28 meter/step

same run on iPhone SE with Adidas Running : 30:49, 5,01 km, 6:09 min/km, 169 steps/min, 1.0 meter/step

The positive thing is the step rates are the same.

But there is 28% too much on step length, that's the problem, it's HUGE !!!

As you can see the problem is with the step length, but I have set the step length for running in Garmin Connect to 0.93 meter and the Vivomove 3S uses 1.28m, why this difference ?