This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Golf rangefinder distance stuck on meters in HR3 watch app

The rangefinder in the golf app on my HR3 displays the distance to the hole in meters, even though I have the golf distance units set to yards in user settings on the phone app. I'm not sure what the purpose of this phone setting is, but it doesn't seem to be to set the distance units the watch app uses. I use metric units for running and perhaps that is driving the watch to use metric for golf. It is common to measure running / cycling in km but revert to yards for golf, as the phone app seems to contemplate - but I can't see how to get the watch to work that way?
Does anyone know how to correct this, or have the same question?
  • I called Garmin after posting this and found that there is no independent setting on the watch, this has been an issue for years, the golf help line people have advised Garmin that it is standard for people to run in Km and measure golf distances in yards but no action is ever taken. Annoying. Same sort of thing applies to tracking weight, which lots of people do in pounds even though they use km for running and cycling distances, but Garmin forces you to track in kg.
  • It would be good if separate measurements for different activities was supported. Is this something in the roadmap at any stage? I always measure golf in yards but runs in KM's....First world problem I know but would be good if it were configurable per activity.

• I tried this. Changing the Garmin golf app to use yards changes the whole Vivoactive 3 device to use miles and yards for all activities.

So it seems that you have deprecated the ‘Golf Distance Units’ option in Connect, but changing this in the Garmin Golf app doesn’t change the Vivoactive settings in the same way. Can you fix this?

1 metre = 1.09361 yards, is not a difficult calucation for a 1980s calculator to do, never mind a 2020 smartwatch.

Regards,

Pete

---

Sent: 16 January 2020 10:32
    To: Undisclosed recipients:
    Subject: Re: Vivoactive 3 Golf Yards <Q#:1000105> << Reference ID: 15673086K0 >>

Hi  Pete ,

Thanks for your feedback, I've been looking further into this & I've now been informed that Golf Distance Units, as show in Connect app is a legacy option.

You should now use the Garmin Golf app to achieve the desired settings.

Please find confirmation of these changes here

Kind regards,

Stephen

Garmin Europe

---

To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: Vivoactive 3 Golf Yards << Reference ID: 15673086K0 >>

Sent: 14/01/2020 10:24

What is the point of this setting then?

Garmin connect app > settings> Golf Distance Units = Yards

*** Sent from my mobile device, please forgive brevity and any typing errors.

---

On 14 January 2020 14:14:24 <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi  Pete,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your query.

I do understand what you are referring to. However there is no permanent way at this stage to change the two types of settings, with one type of measurements for your activities and another for golf measures. The only workaround on this device would be to change the units each time before playing golf to the correct measurements and then amend them back afterwards.

Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future Garmin products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee that what you have suggested will be implemented, however we do appreciate you passing along your opinions. Please share your ideas with us at the following page on our website: http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

I am sorry this isn't the response you would of hoped for, I can only apologise and pass on your feedback for you. 

Kind regards,

Marie

Garmin Europe

---

Original Message ...
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Vivoactive 3 Golf Yards
    Sent: 12/01/2020 08:12

Hi,

There seems to be a clear error on the implementation of yards on the golf
    activity on the vivoactive 3. I would like to use km/metres for all my runs
    and cycles, but yardages for my golf (like I would imaging 80-90 percent of
    other golfers).

There seems to be 2 settings for this on the Garmin connect app > settings>
    user settings > Units:

Units of Measure = Metric
    Golf Distance Units = Yards

However, when I download the courses to the app and then to the phone using
    these settings I find the yardages to the front, middle and back of the
    green are in metres and the option for my driving distance to be in metres
    as well. There seems to be no way of changing this on the watch in the golf
    activity settings.

The only way I can get the distance in yards is if I select 'Statute UK' as
    the units of measure on the Garmin Connect App before downloading the
    course. However, this changes all activities to imperial/miles. I do not
    want this and I don't want to have to remember to switch it constantly
    between activities.

I don't think this is the intended behaviour, as I see no reason for the
     'Golf distance units = yards' setting to exist otherwise.

This is a significant issue for me and may result in returning the watch.
    Can you fix this?

Also an option to turn off selecting the flag position would be good (and
    just set to middle of green), as I don't need and it just turns on all the time during golf as the watchface rubs on my coat during winter golf.

Regards,

Pete

• Hi  Pete ,

Thank you for your E-mail, 

Unfortunately the only suggestion we can make is manually changing the metric to yards before playing golf and changing it to Km when doing runs. the only device we sell which won't need to do this is the new golf watch Approach 62. 

I'm really sorry if this isn't the response you were hoping for. 

Kind regards,

Craig

Garmin Europe

• The only thing i have done to ease the pain is have my watch set to miles and yards and link to strava and set that to KM. Then just use strava to view your runs and Cycles.

Completely ridiculous that this has not been fixed my Garmin when marketing a Golf watch.

• Agree with comments - this is a problem for me also

• I would like to add my disappointment regarding golf in yards to the forum. Not having a fix for golf in yards and other activities in meters seems ridiculous for a company like garmin  that pioneered a great deal of the software for tracking.

• Agreed with the comments already on the post.  Sometimes hard to tell right away if in Meters or Yards on watch too

• I have to set my units from kilometres to miles to read in yards on golf app. And to check it, I just go to “Measure Shot” as soon as I start round.  It displays whether it’s metres or yards immediately.