This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Pool swim error and restart

I've had the watch for 9 months and has been, in the main, a sound investment. However within the last 2 - 3 months almost every pool swim, the watch stops counting randomly, vibrates and goes through the blue triangle restart. There is no set duration it will do this but it's generally after 21 mins, up to the best lately of 53 mins.
Haven emailed Garmin UK about this I have only received a "yes it is an issue" and "we are looking into this" as a response. This error is regardless of type of stroke/charge/tightness on wrist/software update.
I have also spurioisly had double calorie counts on short cycles but tbh, its the pool swim error that's gripped it for me.
???????Anyone else have this issue?
  • Hi,
    Same problem, my VA3M restarts when I press the button to save the activity.
    After the reboot, most of the time, I manage to recover only a part of my swim (last time 2700m out of 3000m).
    This bug is related to the latest firmwares (march-april), another swimmer of my team using the VA3M is having exactly the same issue.
    I did not notice any problem with the calorie count.
    Regards..
  • Well I tried with the new firmware V4.00. First swim it works (3000m) and second swim it failed (again 3000m). Reboot of the watch and activity lost...

• J do stop for 30 seconds after 1 km and its works

• Same problem. Seems to be at about 1000 meters but might be time related since I am pretty consistent. I swim for 15 minutes, save the activity and then start another one. Means Strava looks a little strange with multiple swims but I have not had any problems doing this.

• Sorry, just added this as a separate question:

Just wondering how many other users are experiencing problems when swimming over 70 lengths of a 25m pool. My watch worked perfectly up until February but then it started crashing at around 1650m so I had it replaced under warranty, only for the second unit to have exactly the same issue. Garmin support are aware of the issue and deveopers are looking into it but 3 months and 3 updates later it's still the same problem. I keep sending zipped Garmin folders to the support team whenever the latest update is released and I try an uninterrupted swim.

I bought the watch specifically for swim tracking, I swim 3km three or four times per week. My work around for now is pausing the swim after 60 lengths then resuming for the next 60. However, stopping, holding the button to unlock the screen, releasing the button, holding the button to pause before pressing it and finally setting off again is becoming tiresome. I am seriously considering getting a refund so that I can get one of Samsung Galaxy watch's offerings.

Update: Software version 4.3 no longer crashes when swimming up to 3000m.

• I have the same issue - I get to about 15mins swimming and the dreaded blue triangle appears and just resets. Very frustrating.

There is clearly a software issue which Garmin need to fix. 

Garmin any answers!?

• Hi, 

I have exact the same issue with , had this a few times while swimming in a pool. 

The problem appears when swimming longer than 30 minutes, after that as described my watch restarts with the blue triangle.

It's an really frustrating problem, and for a Garmin watch in this price categorie I expected a faster solution.

• Happened to my VA3M several times. It has rebooted in the middle of a swimming activity. Doesn't happens consistently so I'm not sure what is causing it.

• This happened to me last weekend, around 29:45 into a 30min swim. My daily activities on the watch showed 9:59:59 for the swim, but iConnect reported ~24 min.

The same thing happened today, near the end of a 30m swim, but daily view on the watch and the iConnect app were in sync (showing 42 minutes of my ~46min of swimming)

• I just purchased the new Forerunner 245 Music.  First swim went ok after some trial and errors but my next swim the watch automatically ended my swim after about 10 laps.  I started again and it was fine but as I neared the end of my last 40 laps it again reset.  I assume software is the same so wondering if anyone got this figured out.  Thinking of returning if people find this a reoccuring issue and not a once every 100 swim type thing (which I can deal with).