This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Coach - run walk run alerts

Hi all,
I am training for the 5k with coach Jeff Galloway on my VA3. I can not adjust time/pace alerts for my RWR strategy. I have found online several tutorials on how to adjust alerts on standard run activities (and this works fine) but when accesing training trough coach widget alerts are no longer aplicable. Has anyone find solution for this issue?

You can access tutorials for adjusting alerts that I have found online here:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fi...nwalk-feature/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSMwv8vIhB4

Thanks all in advance!
Best regards.
  • No solution. Doesn't work for me too which is frustrating. 

The workaround I'm thinking of is not doing the actual activity from the training plan, but rather a normal run with alert setup, but it will probably cause workout to be marked as missed in the training plan. 

• Hi. I'm having the same problem. It doesn't make sense, that using a coach on your watch, doesn't allow ypu to use its features.

• Is there still no solution? It drives me crazy to look at my watch to track the time for run/walk when I am doing a run/walk training from Jeff, who invented run/walk...

• I tried a free app on my iphone called "runintervals" in combination with my VA3 and that does the job very well for me. Since I am listening music most of the time, I have wireless earbuts in already. The app gives audio queues (you can select out of 3 different types) when to start running or walking and mutes your music temporarily if it is playing. Only backdraw is that you have to start the timer manually after your warm up of course and if you don't like carying your phone with you, it is not a solution either. For me it does the job! If you also tried and liked it, please spread the message. Many people are having this issue.
    When I did not know about this forum, I always thought Jeff was trying to sell his own "run walk run timer" by not allowing Garmin to implement the intervals into the training, but reading different posts, it is mostly Garmin not willing to make things difficult. The could make an "advanced" setting in their watch for ;)

• I will use your suggestions and try Jeff's plan on my VA3.  How do you like his training plan?

• I use an app for the iPhone called Run Walk Intervals by Jeff Payne (he has several similar apps - don’t confuse with his Runner’s Interval Timer, the latter doesn’t have ability to set a delayed start).

Even better, I have just tried his Runner’s Interval Timer Pro which in addition to delayed start, allows warmup and cool down periods. (Not to be confused with Running Interval Timer Pro which doesn’t have voice alerts only various audio alerts and doesn’t have the delayed start or options for warmup/ cool down periods)

These work great for me as I find the vibration of the VA3 easy to overlook with trying to do any workout program. 

• Sad to say, that app is apparently only on iPhone, not Android. 

I haven't wanted to adjust intervals doing the Galloway training plan myself, so far (beginner runner), but in years past, I used the Android app, RunKeeper and found it easy to set run/walk intervals and get alerts, as well as listen to audiobooks or music while on a walk or run.  I have been only doing TM running since the Covid-19 situation shut the US down, so I haven't tried RunKeeper lately. 

I'm really enjoying the Galloway coaching.  I had found a lot of other methods push too hard, too quickly, for me anyway.

• Has this been fixed yet?

This seems to be a major feature that is missing since I would assume that many of the Garmin users are using the coach function.

During the Run Walk Run training Ive to keep track of my 90 sec running and 30 sec walk intervals manually by looking at my clock and time every now and then. This very frustrating as the Run/Walk feature is implemented as a notification in the normal "run" program but not when using the coach program. 

• Frustrating! I found out about this too today... :-(

• This bothered me so much that I wrote a custom data field that specifically works with the training plan. Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think.

apps.garmin.com/.../c4e3c16a-4ee3-4225-a907-2df94fb355cf