This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Backlight activated by gesture during sleep

I just switched to Vivoactive 3 after wearing Vivoactive HR for 2 years. The backlight settings are the same with Gesture set to "Always On," and my sleep hours are set from 11:00 PM to 6:55 AM.

With my VAHR, the gesture setting of "always on" was ignored between bed time and wake time so that lifting my wrist to look at the watch did not activate the backlight. This morning around 6:00 AM, I rolled over in my bed while barely awake and then was surprised a blinding light from my watch display. Somehow the movement of rolling over in my bed triggered the backlight.

Has anyone else experienced this with the VA3? I would have thought it would behave the same as the VAHR and disable detecting gestures during sleep hours.

I just set up my new watch Sunday. I thought I was updated to the latest firmware during setup, but my VA3 downloaded and installed version 5.90 while I was leaving for work this morning.
  • This the main reason I turned off the backlight on gesture function.
  • I have my backlight off except during activities. It is convenient to have the light come on without having to tap the screen when running or other activities. But at other times simply tapping the screen is preferred and is easier on the battery life.
  • I would give *ANYTHING* for the backlight turn on with a gesture during sleep hours, because when I wake up in the middle of the night I want to know what time is without using both hands!

What happened to you is that probably the watch touched your leg or some other body part and the backlight obviously turns on like that. But not with a gesture. 100% sure your watch didn't turn on with a gesture because that's what I WANT and it's not possible!!!
  • I did this - backlight gestures set to activities only -thanks Steph B. It was a pain coming on in bed the last year, it often woke my wife.  With gestures off completely I found touching the screen won't bring on the light. This solution is the best fix.

• I was just trying to sleep and had the same issue. Google brought me here. It started after I resynced the watch from scratch to fix a bluetooth issue. A reboot of the watch fixed it for me.