This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sleep Monitor Issues

Hello All,
I've been having a few issues with the sleep tracking function on my watch.
Yesterday 9th Jan its seems to have changed my deep sleep reading from 57mins in the morning to 24 minss.
Please see the screens shots attached.

One my main reasons for wanting to use this product was to improve sleep and deep sleep specifically?
What happening? why does this change later in the day?

Also last night the app doesn't seemed to have worked properly at all?

no setting changed, watch has been on wrist all day and night.

Am i doing something wrong here?Very confused?
Why isnt it doing advanced sleep now?

Appreciate all helps,thanks.
George H
  • IMHO the sleep tracker is not so good as expected. I changed from the forerunner 235 to the VA3 and be shocked. My sleeps stats went from one day to the next horrible. Sometimes 1 minute deep sleep - but i feel good. In combination with some other thing i give it back.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/health-fitness/vivoactive-3-aa/1431127-sleep-tracking-now-and-before
  • Same here. I have set the sleeping time generously (23.00-10.00), since the clock monitors the sleep according to my knowledge only in the indicated period. However, the clock already measures deep sleep before falling asleep and during actual sleep very rarely or not at all.

I used a Huawei Band 2 before. The sleep monitoring was sensationally accurate without any intervention. With the Garmin I always have to correct the times of falling asleep and waking up on the basis of the movement pattern. Who remembers when he fell asleep? This way, the first "deep sleep" phase is already lost.

The algorithm of the sleep evaluation is based on movement patterns and (individual?) heart rate. Perhaps in your case the curve shifts with larger changes, and what was deep sleep before becomes light sleep.

As satisfied as I am with the Vivoactive 3, the sleep analysis imho is hardly usable. Garmin should take Truesleep from Huawei as an example in this case.
  • For me, it's the start time that is messed up. Like last night, I went to bed at 11:45pm and it was almost an immediate lights out (two minutes at most). According to the sleep stage, it showed me awake until 1:45am. Sleep movement doesn't represent this. Yes, I was waken up by a phone call at 12:45am but almost fell asleep right after, which is correctly represented by sleep movement.

Noticed that several times already.
  • Garmin have told me to return my Va3 for warranty exchange because my sleep tracking only detects me being awake in during the sleep period if I'm actually up and walking about, eg getting a drink or toilet, won't detected if I'm awake but in bed and having a conversation with my wife. Her Fitbit seems to track really well.

The dilemma is thought it doesn't sound like a replacement is going to fix this and I'll just have been without the watch for a couple of weeks for them to exchange it and then be in the same situation?
  • Recently my deep sleep also disappears in the course of the day.

Very strange and annoying that with every firmware update a new problem is added.
    The permanent reset to factory settings is also annoying.
    Not to mention that there is no improvement.

This is how you scare away your customers!
  • I've had a new Va3 and I still don't get any awake time recorded unless I actually get up and really move around.

Garmin told me to try on a different phone... Guess what that gives the same result but I've wasted another 45 minutes syncing to different devices and back again.
  • I'm afraid not even the manufacturer can tell if it's a software or hardware problem.
  • We shouldn't be looking at these wrist monitors as anything other than entertainment devices. Actual sleep monitoring requires scientific instruments. The VA3 & all it's competitors are a long way from being scientific instruments. The price should be our first indication of this.
  • i have started facing this same issue on my vivoactive 3 music.. first i discovered that despite turning off Bluetooth and wifi they are always on... confirmation received from Garmin support twice...bummer!!!

and now from past week or so every data sync makes changes to my sleep data... eventually ends up wiping out deep sleep data ..and merging deep sleep duration with REM??? god knows what kind of algorithm  Garmin  (which havei consider to  be one of the most reputed brand) has come up with 

going by this pace, it may just be a matter of time when I discover that heart rate and steps counter are gimmicky too... 

• I was bushed last night. I fell asleep before 8:00 PM in front of the TV. Got up and transferred to my bed around 9:45 PM. Went to the bathroom around 1:30 AM and woke up just after 5:00 AM. My VA3 said I slept for 48 minutes. I understand that it might have been difficult to figure out my start and stop times for sleep as I had gotten up a few times after my start.

I adjusted my start and stop times and now Connect says I slept 3 hours and 28 minutes when it was easily 8 hours even allowing for what I believe is my real awake time.

My problem is that when I look at the movement graph, there are large swaths of time where the graph shows almost no movement yet it thinks I was awake. Additionally, there are small sections of the graph where movement is slightly higher than some of the awake sections yet Connect believes I was asleep.

I have noticed that sleep times are adjusted slightly if I look at the graph later in the day but it will never show anything close to reality.