This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Connection Issues (Vivoactive 3 to phone) - What Finally Worked for You?

Let's use this thread to post what finally worked for the benefit of people who wander over here looking for solutions.

My Vivoactive 3 would often disconnect from my phone (Moto G5plus), but typically turning the Bluetooth off and back on would solve the problem. It always remained paired - just would sometimes not connect. Recently, it would simply not reconnect using any of the trouble-shooting techniques. I could find no reason for the problem (no system update, etc.)

I finally used a few of the suggestions here combined: I uninstalled the mobile app (Garmin Connect) and unpaired the device from my phone. I then re-installed the mobile app and used it to re-pair the phone. I let it run through the whole connection process, and the device and phone now recognizes and connects to the device.
  • Not had an issue until 5.70 firmware having to power cycle the watch daily to get it to reconnect.
  • The same issue, after upgrade to 5.70... ;-(
    I have VA3, SW version 5.70 - updated day or two ago. Samsung S7 Edge, synchronisation occurred last time today morning at 1:08 CET. Bluetooth icon on VA3 is sometimes flashing, sometimes green... pairing on mobile BT was successful.
    No any update on mobile, but updated now on latest garmin connect version 4.13.7 and no change... uninstalled Garmin Connect and installed again, also tried different mobile (xiaomi redmi 3) and have the same results. So it should be an Garmin issue and not android, though.
    Any help from Garmin?

WHAT WORKED FOR ME: while pairing in Garmin Connect app, go in watches for pairing menu as well - Settings/Phone/PairPhone. It connect immediately.
  • This thread is old but I wanted to thank you for posting this.  I had the exact same issue with my Moto E5 Cruise and this fixed it.  My phone and watch would connect and then disconnect within a few seconds (over and over again).  I think I know what I did wrong to begin with:  I setup my bluetooth connection through my phone's bluetooth rather than the Garmin App's bluetooth setup. 

I followed your suggestion:

1.  Deleted the app 

2.  Had my phone forget my Vivoactive 3 

3.  Reinstalled the app 

4.  Went through the apps setup process to connect my watch to my phone. 

THANK YOU!!!

• Issue can be resolved by unpairing the watch from your phone, erasing the cache memory on the phone related to the Garmin Connect apps, rebooting both devices (watch and phone), and after turning on both devices, pairing the watch and the phone.

• Hi 

I’m having the same problem for months and I’ve been through 2 devices (vivoactive 3 music) and 2 iPhones (7 and 12 pro) and the problem remains. 
    garmin support asked me to send the device, to check it out but I still believe it’s something about the app programming and iOS compatibility. 
    went through all the steps above and nothing solved the issue. 
    I think I’ll have to send the device to Garmin, but I suppose I won’t solve anything. 
    All the best

• I was able to simply restart both the watch and phone to reconnect them.

• Same problem.  My phone (purchased 7 weeks ago) stops receiving texts for no apparent reason (no changes in phone or watch settings).  This happens at least 3 or 4 times each week.  I REALLY need this feature because I have a substantial hearing loss so I entirely depend on being alerted and reading texts while wearing my Vivoactive 3. I have not found changing any single setting to correct when this happens.  This is the only thig that has worked for me.

1. Uninstall connect app

2. Reset watch to factory original (option under setting/systems on watch)

3.  Re-install connect app.

4.  Restart watch (turn off by holding watch button down for several seconds, then restart in the same manner)

5. This makes everything as if you just received it out of the box.

6.  Walk thru startup and connect phone.

7. THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING.  HOPING GARMIN WILL LET ME REPLACE IT.  AM I THE ONLY PERSON ON THE PLANET WITH THIS ISSUE?

• Same problem here. contacting garmin only gives the standard solution which does not work.
    i have the problem since i got another phone. first a samsung a40 (without problems) now to samsung a32 that has this problem from the start.

there was a setting in a previous version of the app. it's out now. could that be the solution?

news.softpedia.com/.../how-to-fix-bluetooth-connectivity-issues-on-garmin-smartwatches-524676.shtml

I have a garmin fenix 6s pro. but the problem is not device dependent.