This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS accuracy

I bought my VA3 a couple of weeks ago:

-Nice watch
-Good battery life: 7 days as a watch plus activity tracker and HR monitor. No notifications and bluetooth active just a some minutes each day. 5-6 days with notifications and bluetooth always on. 4-5 days with 1h of running with GPS each two days.

So I was quite happy, but the accuracy of GPS is terrible.

A couple of days ago I ran with my old FR220 in my right wrist and the VA3 in my left wrist with with GPS (with GPS + GLONASS is even worse)

Here you can see the results:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3202421637

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3202480906

So my old 220 is way better in terms of GPS accuracy, and sadly I sold my FR235 in order to buy this VA3.

I contacted the support chat, this is the last part to the transcript:

Calum: Okay, this does look to be normal behaviour, it's down to GPS drift. We usually allow discrepancies such as this

Jose Antonio: So GPS accuracy is better in the 220 or 235?
Jose Antonio: and If I got a new Unit results would be probably the same?
Calum: It could possibly be the same, but again may have some discrepancies

Jose Antonio: and about the other question. If I got a 235 instead would accuracy improve?
Calum: Unfortunately I cannot be sure, I don't have an exact list of what is more accurate than the other

Jose Antonio: Ok, thanks a lot for your answer
Calum: Not a problem. Have a nice day Jose

Basically I have an absolutely nice an elegant smartwatch that is useless for running.

So, how can Garmin, an expert in sport watches make this product.

How can review sites like DCRAINMAKER (I bought this unit based on his review) have not notice this?

Guys, any of you are experiencing this kind of discrepancies? Should I try a different Units or your VA3'a behave the same as mine?

Regards:

J.A

• Yep. One second recording, glonass, etc.
    I believe that when a few trees are next to your track, you will need something "stronger" than the VA3. Like I had the Garmin Forerunner 305 on the other wrist and that gave me the distance within a couple of percent error. There are for sure technology or there that can do the job, Garmin just didn't put that technology into the VA3.
  • I agree. The VA3 is a bad GPS Tracker. I try it and i give it back.
    Sorry, site have some ads.

Forerunner 235. Its a way what i wlk very often. Down left is a sidewalk only on the left side, if you go "up" its right. No skyscrapper or so. In the middle of the street i go over the street.
    https://abload.de/img/forerunner235i3dxt.png

The same way with the VA3: Down left? Where do i walk? Upper? I walk always on the same sidelwalk, short bevor the "Treburer" come on the right.
    https://abload.de/img/vivoactive3gydk7.png

• Hi guys, about the 1 sec recording, yes, I had 1sec recording enabled.

About the (apparently) rude messages against garmin that I haven't had the opportunity to read. All my running watches have been made by Garmin with no complains until now, zero problems with the customer service as well, so you could say I have been a heavy Garmin user until now but in my humble opinion and with the utmost respect, this product is just below my expectation in terms of a Garmin product.

For the last month I have been trying different configurations, using always same route in Madrid (Spain). Part of the route through streets with medium size buildings, (not skyscrapers, this is not NY) and another part within a rectangular track inside a park. The part within the park is more or less ok without Glonass, the other part is way off (and the streets I use to run in are pretty wide)

I have tried GPS+ Galileo a couple of times with worse results than GPS alone, but this is a recent addition to the software and the Galileo network has not been completely deployed so maybe it’s too soon for this kind of tests.
    Anyway Garmin, if you want me to send any logs/data in order to fix this issue (in case this is something you can sort out), I’d love to have this solved.

Here you can see my last run, same path, GPS+GLONASS where even within the park in a tartan track one of the laps is way off.
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3319806134

By the way, I wasn’t drunk!!

• I recently bought the VA3 and have used it for both cycling and walking. The GPS tracking accuracy when cycling isn't quite as good as the Edge Explore but is similar to the Edge 520. The VA3 over-measuring distance by 0.01 miles in 15 miles compared to the EE is, in my opinion, good. Inspection of the track shows it is generally good although a route through mainly open countryside must help.However, having the VA3 held forward from the body (cycling position with straight handlebars) helps it receive the satellite signals. For walking I have found the VA3's tracking accuracy to be less consistent. Sometimes it is good, sometimes there are minor errors while urban walking between large buildings can make those errors much bigger. GPS satellite reception won't be helped by the VA3 being intermittently screened by the body as the wrist moves around. (It would be an interesting experiment to see how much the VA3's accuracy would improve if head-mounted to avoid the screening by the body but this would be no good for measuring heart rate!). Also, the VA3 must have a small antenna which can't help with optimal signal reception.

Any GPS device struggles in urban conditions because many satellites are being blocked from view. The best positional accuracy achieved is when signals can be received from satellites in all directions.These signals are line-of-sight so, if you can;t see the sky then it means that the GPS can't get signals from that part of the sky. The accuracy is degraded in the direction where the sky view is blocked. For example, if buildings to east and/or west block the GPS signals from those directions then the east-west accuracy of the calculated posiiton is degraded resulting in the off-track position. Using more satellites from the different providers helps a little as anything is better than nothing. If running fixed routes then the solution is to measure them in Google Earth. If you haven't read it already then see the VA3 review here. The discussion about GPS accuracy starts with this statement: "There’s likely no topic that stirs as much discussion and passion as GPS accuracy. A watch could fall apart and give you dire electrical shocks while doing so, but if it shows you on the wrong side of the road? Oh hell no, bring on the fury of the internet!"

Overall I'm impressed by how the GPS technology has progressed. My first encounter with a GPS device was in 1996 when it was the size of a brick, weighed nearly as much as a brick and had to be held out at arm's length in an open area to have any hope of getting a position to within about 100m accuracy (although Selective Availability was a factor in the poor accuracy). If there were some trees in the area then the prospect of getting a position was much reduced.
  • Anyone find a good solution?  Switched from Smart to 1 second.  Tried GPS+Glonass.  Firmware is up to date.  The unit is still inaccurate.   I have been using Garmin since the 201.  My vivoactive HR was much more accurate.  Running certified races courses and my watch will be short.   I run with my wife who has a 645 and my watch is always behind usually around .02 be mile now with gointo to 1 second.  Glonass seemed to be worse.

• Mine is not bad under open sky but as soon as I get  between trees, speed, distance and gps are not doing much. Same thing next to tall buildings. I come from AW 3 and the most disappointing is HR. 

• I have the same issues. I run with several other people - all have Garmin watches but I'm the only one with the VA3. I am always 1/2 mile short of the others on anything more than 5 miles which makes my pace way off. I worked with Garmin and had them replace my watch with another even though it was out of warrantee. They were very nice to work with but this new watch has the exact same issues. Before they replaced it, they had me try all of those settings - one at a time - so it tooks weeks and weeks of feedback before they replaced it. I just really like the wrist HR monitor. I'm thinking about the VA4 but don't want to pay all that money and have the exact same problem. UGH