This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate is completely inaccurate only with specific profiles

The HRM readings on my va3 seem accurate while not in an activity profile, while running, doing weights, etc.

However, when I'm in cardio mode the HRM is completely off. It often reads around half of my actual heart rate. When I change profiles while doing the same exact thing (eg: change from cardio to run profilex or even no exercise profile) suddenly my readings jumps to reasonable values.

It seems like a bug to me. I've tried positioning it differently, tighter, looser, other wrist, on the inside of my wrist, and occasionally I can get it working but it cuts out again with any movement. Whereas I never have this issue in other profiles.

Had anyone experienced similar situations?
  • The Fitbit Sense has the same issue, and is probably worse. 

• Yes. When I’m huffing and puffing on the elliptical, it shows a heart rate in the low 50’s. Not particularly helpful. 

• 2 years after that post and my cardio setting registers my heart rate at  less than half of what it actually is... this is very frustrating. For running it's pretty accurate, but I'm doing METCONs and not running... I've tried every position even on my ankle lol (someone suggested that) but nothing works.  i am light skinned, almost no arm hair and don't sweat all that much... so I don't think any of  those points listed by Garmin are the issue, as the other settings I use seem to work just fine. 

It would be excellent if Garmin would fix this issue. 

• Can you provide some instructions on how to create your HIIT profile? 

Thx

• Factory reset it doesn't help, I already tried this. Maybe if we could downgrade the software version...

• I've been struggling with this annoying issue on my Fenix 5+ for a long time. I am certain it's a software problem as it worked perfectly during all different activities for a whole year after I got it in 2019. My wrist has really not changed very much!

Also it does seem to work better after a factory reset for about a week and then starts playing up again. I can't really be spending a few hours setting it all up again every week.

I complained to Garmin within warranty and actually they were very good, agreed to replace with a new device - which also worked perfectly for a week or two before behaving exactly the same way again.

I find it hard to believe they don't know there is an issue and can't go back and see what change has caused it (I am a software devoper myself). This expensive device has gone from being a perfect solution for me to being frustratingly unreliable. I definitely feel that I would not spend a lot of money on a Garmin again in future unless it can be confirmed this issue is solved.