This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Altitude is very incorrect

Hello,

Since v3.30, altitude seems to be incorrect, showing very crazy values, sometimes very high, sometimes negative ones.
After I've factory reseted the device, it appeared to be corrected. But after I performed a walk, with GPS online, it seems that the values got wrong again.
It also seems to be impacting in the floors (stairs) counting).
Could it be another bug?
Regards
Hervandil

• I noticed this also, first time Tuesday this week. I also reported it via both Chat and Email to Garmin. Chat answer: Reset your watch. I did, it did not help. After that, I emailed them also.
    Have the same irratic altitude readings. I do the manual calibration, set altitude to 91 m, it starts wandering and can be anything from 60 m to 308 m in a few hours. I also got the floor counting wrong because of this. Impacts also elevation charts while doing an activity, like biking. Wednesday I was submerged under water over 50% of my ride according to Garmin...! :-) I hope they will fix this, it's either Sensor SW 5.80 upgrade related or something else with SW. The watch worked almost flawless with altitude measurement before this.

Still, there's one thing they could also improve. When starting/ending an activity at the same location I get different starting/ending altitudes in my elevation graphs. Why can't the software auto adjust the whole graph with the knowledge of the ending point height - which should be the same as starting point in many cases?

/Leo

• Same thing for me. Before this disastrous 3.30 update togheter with this 5.80 sensor update, things were amazing in this excellent hardware watch.
  • I've the same problems, living below sea level but I've I must believe my VA3 I'm living in the Alps approx. 600 meters above sea level. I'm using the VA3 now for more than a half year and I'm really really disappointed in this device.
  • Having issues as well. See the 2 pictures below from Strava. First is wearing the Vivoactive HR and 2nd Vivoactive 3. Both today. Both waking around the same parking lot at work. Also, I got 63 flights of stairs 2 days ago.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1320199.jpg
  • Incorrect isn't the word for it. The first is from my VA3, the second from my boyfriends vivo HR ... we ran together yesterdayciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1320260.jpg
  • The barometric altimeter is very imprecise to start with the topic. In my case, regardless of the versions of the watch, since I acquired it in November of 2017, in some cases it indicated me VERY incorrect data, where I am normally at 30m height that indicates 300m or similar.
    It depends on many climatic factors, currently with version 3.4 at the time of writing this post the reading of the altitude is correct.
    To finish, some people say that the important thing about the altimeter is not that it indicates the correct altitude, but that it is useful to see the difference (height changes) made in a route.
    In my cycling trips, the actual altitude activating or deactivating the GPS correction is usually different, but the difference in level is almost the same.
    Sorry to expand so much.
  • Same issue here. Since firmware version 3.3 I get elevation gain on a run in London of 1300m! The same run done with firmware version 2.9 and bellow hovers between 30 and 40-something meters. Additionally I get crazy values for the internal temperature sensor - 170 deg C. On firmware 2.9 I was seeing values around 40 deg C.
  • Same issue here. Since firmware version 3.3 I get elevation gain on a run in London of 1300m! The same run done with firmware version 2.9 and bellow hovers between 30 and 40-something meters. Additionally I get crazy values for the internal temperature sensor - 170 deg C. On firmware 2.9 I was seeing values around 40 deg C.

Also the same issues, running on sea level today but if I must believe the VA3 I have done a run in the Alps, today almost 700 meters above SL.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    I believe vtrifonov may have found something here. If something happened with the latest FW update that's making the internal temperature sensor have crazy readings (-170C) that would definitely increase the elevation readings. It may be a good idea to check the temp sensor readings when the altitude seems unreasonable and see if this may be the cause.
  • I have the same problem, has anyone contacted Garmin on this yet?