This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Swimming does not count towards intensity minutes

In firmware 3.3, the time spent in swimming does not count towards intensity minutes. Is this because the heart rate monitor is now disabled, it doesn't know how hard you are working out. Have you guys noticed the same?
  • I just swam 3k and it was 1.25 hours. Stupid 3.4 firmware registered it as approximately 20 minutes as well. Other than not wanting to bleed off demand from some of their other products, it really bugs me that the HR and intensity minutes detected in swimming got dropped in 3.3 and again in 3.4. Once again - Garmin makes great hardware but software... not so much.
  • Nope, swim app did not log any minutes towards IM after my swim session today.
  • I did a swim yesterday and cannot see if I got IM credit for the swim or not. I don't think I did.
    I have some IM for the day, but not sure what from -- since HR is no longer working for swim, my only elevated HR for outdoor work.

In general, I think IM is not a bad idea to give better idea of activity tracker. HOWEVER, if IM does not give credit for swims, it's a failure.
    Solution: bring back oHR for pool swims!
  • Hi...newbie from the land of the midnight-sun here...I also want my swimming to count as IM..hr, not that important. Oh, and I also suggested that Garmin would make my Fenix3 understand that I was working out..even if I was in water..hope they can get around to it.
  • whoops...now I can see that I'm waaaay off forum-wise...sorry about that guys :-) Wrong watch!!
    • Home Forum Into Sports Health & Fitness vivoactive 3

• The HR recording during swimming was actually a bug which was corrected with 3,30. Since it was recording, you were given credit for intensity minutes in the past. There is a data field called Trimp Meter which you can use that records your RPE. I personally believe this is a better way to evaluate how hard your workout is then using Garmin's intensity minutes calculations.

Hi - just tried today: added the Trimp Meter datafield to the swimming layout, and the pool swimming minutes have been considered as intensity minutes. Thanks for the hint! ;)
  • Hi - just tried today: added the Trimp Meter datafield to the swimming layout, and the pool swimming minutes have been considered as intensity minutes. Thanks for the hint! ;)

Hello
    This is not working.
    Just as if swim activity permanently block Trimp Meter to use HR and no data is collected.
    Any one has an idea how to enable couting intensity minutes in swimming sessions.
  • I don't understand, if we're wearing the GARMIN HR monitor during swimming and it downloads the HR data, why isn't this adding in to the intensity mins/week? Seems ludicrous. I get it when the HR data isn't there because one is wearing a watch where the optical measurement is defeated underwater, but when you take the time to add the HR strap and thus have the data...come on! You guys can build incredible devices but can't get the app to use HR data for swims? Seems cray cray.
    Thanks!

• I pool swim 5 days a week and usually find my vivocative will record my fast walk to and from the pool in my IM but not the swim. I have had the Garmin swim, vivoactivehr and vivoactive3. None of them are great for swimming. The V3 is the most accurate for recording lengths but as this old thread shows Garmin are not really interested in swimmers I think I'll be saying goodbye to Garmin when this one dies.

• yeah, me too, it seems random. it says HR disabled but still records it...