This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

external Heart Rate Monitor used only during activities

I don't understand why if i wear an ( accurate ) external chest heart rate monitor, the watch continue to use the less accurate wrist sensor.
The watch use the external monitor only during activities
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    I haven't tried this, but what happens if you put on the strap and have the whr turned off? Are you able to go into settings and then connect to the strap outside of an activity?
  • The OHR is MUCH better battery wise than an external HRM. There are some CIQ watch apps that allow using a HRM outside a regular activity. An external one just isn't suited for 24/7. I wonder how long the battery in the HRM would last too.
  • I haven't tried this, but what happens if you put on the strap and have the whr turned off? Are you able to go into settings and then connect to the strap outside of an activity?
    The exact thing i do, disabled wrist hr and enable strap, does not work. Regarding battery, i dont' know if drain is more with OHR, with 3 leds continuosly flashing and processing power to detect pulses from noise, or simple receiving ant+ packets. I think garmin should implement use of an external hrm, if a user want.

• I don't understand why if i wear an ( accurate ) external chest heart rate monitor, the watch continue to use the less accurate wrist sensor.
    The watch use the external monitor only during activities

How did you came to conclusion that external monitor is used only during activities? I am on the same boat as yours.
    My need is to track the HR without wearing the watch on my hand during sleeping. However, once i take the watch off the hand, even though it's paired to the external sensor, no hear rate is being measured.

Any luck?
  • You need to be running an app that connects to the HRM band, even if you are wearing the watch.

Put on the band, and the lights on the oHRM will stay on until you start something like the run activity. That will connect to the band and then turn off the OHRM.. When you leave the activity, the OHRM comes back on.
  • If you turn off the wrist HR then the watch just sows 0 HR. It does not connect with my polar 10 and show HR while just sitting there or sleeping. This is a design flaw because I wanted to record HR from polar DURING SLEEP! In addition to activities, I am wearing vivoactive all the time and would like it to display (the more accurate) HR from chest strap rather than wrist monitor.

• Same boat I work at a desk alot. And do a lot of typing which from my understanding has a bad effect. So wanted to use the chest hrm to get better accuracy

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to gkjarhead

I cannot see the point why external heart rate sensor cannot be used for activity tracking. The Polar Verity Sense optical heart rate monitor has a battery life of 20 h and is very comfortable to wear. For 24*7 activity tracking, you need to change it twice a day. But as a result you get data from a sensor which has ECG accuracy. I am currently using a training tracker with Polar OH1, wich requires three changes, and I suppose I will change to the Verity Sense for this reason. Why does Garmin not support this feature?

2798043 alias Peter Gamma, my account was locked for reasons I cannot follow, also my complaint about this to Garmin Switzerland was not successful to this date, but I am convinced I will win this case on the legal process.

• The VA3's predecessor, the VA HR couldn't connect to an external HR monitor at all. Connecting for activities is more than you could do before. That is why I waited for the VA3 to upgrade from my VA1.