This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is the VA3 a good choice for traveling?

I spend 9 months a year abroad, typically in Latin America. I hike, trail run, weight lift at the gym, and do calisthenics workouts. I'm looking for a watch and activity tracker that will track my hikes and runs, and help me with mapping trails to walk/run again later and make sure I don't get lost, as well as my heart rate and overall activity level for the day. I'd also love it to track my sleeping to make sure I'm getting enough good sleep every night.

I ride motorcycles most everywhere and love riding off-road and exploring, so that's another activity that I'd like to track. While I take care of my stuff, I'm very hard on things as you can imagine.

Is the VA3 a solid option for someone like me, or should I save some more money and get a Fenix 5/s/x? Is it easy to find, upload, and update maps for foreign countries, and will they include hiking trails and other dirt roads that I can explore on the motorcycle?

Thanks.
  • With what you describe, the va3 could work for you. While there's not a native hiking app, I know of one (see my avatar :) ).

I'd definately look into the f5x, as it does come with maps. That might come in handy in what you describe, where you don't have internet access, etc. The va3 doesn't have maps nor can you load them, except small ones with custom apps. Same with the f5, 935 or f5s.
  • Jim covered your question pretty well. From what you describe you'll at least need the ability to ffollow a course which the Vivoactive 3 won't do.

The FR935 and the Fenix series watch will allow you to load a course and follow it and as Jim said the F5X also has actual maps.
  • I also travel a lot, but by bicycle. So I'm wondering if the VA3 can be recharged with a standard wall charger or an external battery pack. I don't have access to a computer while I'm traveling. And while I'll ask this next question in another thread, perhaps you might know the answer: Can I turn off GPS tracking but still have the heart rate broadcasting via ANT+ to my Edge device? I'm thinking that turning off the GPS will save battery power. Thanks.
  • You can charge with a wall charger or battery pack. As far as GPS, it's only on when you're doing something that needs it,mainly an outdoor activity, like a run. And yes, you can broadcast HR without GPS or recording an activity on the va3.
  • Have got the VA3 for some weeks and I'm quite disappointed: My routing software is Locus maps and there is a Garmin app: Locus map for Garmin. However since Version 4.39 Garmin removed one API. I have downgraded to 4.39 therefore...That's why quite some apps on CIQ Store are broken. As a result problems with the otherwise superb Locus map for Garmin. Communication seems to be a one way communication. Worked in tech support for another Amercian company (DEC). This Garmin kind of customer service is a no go. Don't know whether or not Garmin wants to force the buyers to upgrade to VA4... I also own an old Garmin edge 705: I had lost the usb cover: no spare parts from Garmin. Fortunately I found one at an Ukrainian shop...
    That's why I would spend some more money and get a smartwatch from a company whose managers are more willing to invest in proper tech support including spare parts. Best regards from Switzerland.