This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Phantom Alarm?

Former Member
Former Member
So, I've had my VA3 for about a week now and I haven't had any issues until today. This morning I got an alarm at 7AM. Odd thing is, I never set an alarm since I've own this device and the watch shows the alarm feature is turned off. Anyone else experience this?
  • Maybe an alarm has been synced from your Garmin Connect settings? And you don't see it anymore on your watch probably because it was a one-off alarm, which discards itself after going off.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    I don't think that was the case. My last alarm set was for 6AM on my FR235.
  • I had the same 7am alarm happen two days in a row after updating to 2.50. Didn’t happen before and hasn’t happened since. I doubt it was accidental button pushes. I suspected that Garmin had some accidental default data in the upgrade but I can’t prove it.
  • Former Member
    I had the excact same thing, and alarm for 7am just when I wanted to sleep in. The only thing i could think of is that some errant touches accidentally set the alarm.

It only requires :
    - long press on screen
    - tap near bottom (no scroll) on 'Clocks'
    - tap near bottom on 'Alarms'
    - tap near bottom on 'Add new'

That's it. So a long press and three taps near the bottom edge set an alarm for the default time of 7am. If you sit with your arms crossed, or do an exercise like skating with your hands on your back, a couple of presses near the bottom edge can easily occur.

Garmin, please do one of the following:
    - put the 'alarm' menu item below the 'timer' item. That way Alarm isn't on the screen by default
    - set the default time to 8am.. :)
    - buzz strongly when the alarm has been set and show an "ALARM SET" confirmation

I think it had something to do with an update. I recall it happening once with my FR235 in the past. It's only happened that one time on my VA3 for me. I think the odds of accidently setting an alarm as you described above is extremely unlikely.
  • Former Member
    Just out of curiosity, what time to you have your sleep time ending? I have mine set for 6AM. I usually get up, make a cup of coffee and turn on the news. When I do that my "move" alert always triggers at 7AM since I've gone an hour without really moving. I'm wondering if I mistook the move alert as an alarm.
  • I think it had something to do with an update. I recall it happening once with my FR235 in the past. It's only happened that one time on my VA3 for me. I think the odds of accidently setting an alarm as you described above is extremely unlikely.

Christmas present watch. First day I could sleep in was this morning and there was a 7am alarm that I definitely did NOT set. Pretty miffed about this alarm.

Mine updated to 2.80.0.0 yesterday. So I think there is likely something to this "update adds a one time 7am alarm" theory.
  • Former Member
    I updated to 2.80 two days ago. I got the 7am alarm yesterday, but nothing today. I'm wondering if it's related to FW updates? I don't recall getting one with 2.70 though.
  • Yep, same here this morning. Both my watch and my wife's watch went off at 7am. Both vivoactive 3s running 2.80 and updated yesterday I think, or the day before. Kind of annoying... especially since I was trying to sleep in. I never set either alarm.
  • Yup, happened to me as well a 7am alarm went off that I never set.
  • I have had the 7am "scheduled" workout for about a week. Was driving me crazy, as I was on vacation and wanted to sleep. I tried changing my wake time to 8am, to avoid the 7am notification, but that didn't work. Now that I know how it was accidentally set, I was able to remove the alarm.
    THANKS!