This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SLEEP is all wrong! Plus poor UX Changes on Web App Dashboard

The recently pushed UI/UX changes to the Sleep tile on the Dashboard are terrible.

Until the new changes, editing Sleep on a Desktop was relatively easy, as it could be done from the Dashboard tile. The linear chart was helpful because users could see the sleep pattern and be aided in guesstimating the approximate time of falling asleep and waking up, based on the points shown in the line chart.

Then the Edit function was removed from the Dashboard tile, necessitating a click to go to the full page Sleep view. But sleep view showed only a column chart (like in mobile view), which is much less helpful identifying the point of falling asleep and waking up.

Now the line chart has been completely removed and replaced with a donut chart on the Dashboard tile, and there is a column chart on the full page. So Garmin made it much more difficult to edit one's sleep times based on memory and removed the visual aid of the line chart.

Given the terrible "accuracy" of Sleep tracking, this is literally adding insult to injury. Either fix the Sleep tracking and make it accurate or at least don't make it so difficult to edit the consistently inaccurate Sleep tracking.

• I'll upvote generally anything to get Garmin to wake up about how bad their sleep tracking is on the Venu.   Last night it was close to accurate on the time I feel asleep, but somehow was off by more than 25 minutes on when I got up.  I had already taken a shower, made breakfast, and was in the car to work when the watch decided I might not be asleep anymore.  Astonishing. 

• I am about to give up on Garmin and Sleep.

I've already stopped editing most of the Sleep data, now that it's become a pain to do so.

Looked it today, it has me asleep at 11:31 PM (as REM). But that's when I actually went to bed and then watched TV until 12:03 AM when I turned off the TV, yet Garmin had me in Light Sleep.

In the morning, I woke up at 7:45 and checked email on my phone until 8:00 AM. But Garmin decided that exactly the 15 minutes after I woke up and was looking at my phone, were when my only Deep Sleep for the night occurred.

This is completely made up and ridiculous. And making editing on desktop browsers harder is just crazy.

• So, Sleep tracking will never be fixed, according to the official reply, and the long thread on the topic has been locked, essentially trying to bury the issue?

I am absolutely amazed how Garmin can fail to fix and support an advertised feature. The Sleep tracking data appears to be made up based on the motion sensor only.  How can there be a clam to measure REM or Deep Sleep, when it doesn't recognize that I am reading, watching TV, or playing with my phone?

And how can Body Battery be accurate, if it's based on fake Sleep data?!

• Also my concern. How can I trust Stress, Body Battery and Spo2 when sleep data is just pure guessing by Garmin.
    I am also appalled that they closed the thread regarding sleep data which means they just don't care. At least they could have admitted it's a bug they won't/can't fix.  Their main focus is launching new devices. I only hope many people check the forums beforehand they purchase so they know what they will get. 

• First-time Garmin user after five years of Fitbit.

I was amazed and disappointed that there is to be no improvement to the Venu. I had sent a note to the CEO last week expressing dissatisfaction with the very poor sleep tracking implementation and asked for a plan. At least we got a clear response :) Closing the thread certainly slams the door though there are many other similar statements in these forums. 

I agree that it appears that Garmin are just focused on launching more and more hardware. I wish I had read into forums more deeply. I trusted the online influencer reviews and that a company like Garmin would not sell a feature that is clearly flawed.

I also find that my SpO2 reading varies wildly despite careful placement/pressure/stillness. Several reading are below 90% and would have me dead or on the top of Everest ... Even my four year old Samsung phone does a better job of that too.

The Venu could be a great product ...

Dave

• Yeah, closing the thread wasn't nice but I'm sure that moderators didn't want it to get very public and I can understand why. I guess on Reddit there would be more chances to keep discussion going. But we still can submit our request and ideas about sleep tracking to: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/ As support people I was talking to via chat told me, if some idea got a lot of voting Garmin would consider it. Anyway I've some faith that sleep tracking can be fixed, because during my first sync I get relatively close data, but after it's processed by the servers and updated a few hours later it becomes a real mess. I've reported it to support and hopefully they can do something about it.

SpO2 are messed up for me just the same way as for you, I get the same problem with reading below 90%, and two other SpO2 monitors usually show same value over 95%.

Anyway, you may like to give a try to the new firmware, I installed it yesterday and so far it really improved my battery life and actually my SpO2 seems to be less off comparing to stable firmware(but I'm still testing that).

• Body battery seems to be based on stress, not sleep. It seems to be somewhat accurate in my experience, unlike sleep.

• I clearly see the pattern that when I work during the nighttime my body battery is nearly stops discharging or sometimes even start to charge so it surely depends on sleep. From what I read stress just make it discharge faster.

• If you show stress on the body battery screen there's a pretty clear correlation to stress under ~30 and battery charging, stress above ~30 and battery going down.

• Thanks for pointing this Pete, I'll try to observe for this a bit more and see if it really tied only to stress.