This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Poor battery life in recent weeks

Up until 2-3 weeks ago, my Venu got great battery life--usually 4-6 days depending on how many workouts I did. But since then, the battery life has decreased by almost 50%, as I'm now only getting 2-3 days on a full charge. I'm not sure if this is a bug due to a recent update, or if it could be caused by a widget or watch face. I haven't changed any widgets or my watch face recently, though. Is anyone else having this problem?

• Hi All, It looks like neverending process. After the update to 4.90, I turned off /on the device and watched carefully how things would be. Maybe for two days it looked promising, but unfortunately ... I haven't turned off the watch since the update again, even after the activity, etc ... I should have felt that the consumption was definitely not worse, rather better than before. However, the problem occurred after charging to 100%, so I did not turn off the device and voila, at night with a pulse ox -25% and after 18 hours I have a new negative record, dropped to 21%. Of course without activities, music or pulse ox, only few notifications. So my average for today is 4,38%/hour. And here is the update: 30 min. of  running with GPS and external HRM via ANT+ pushed  me down to 13%. 
    • UPDATE: Here is my experience after another day. I dont believe, but today average is only 0.81%/ hour,  including the run for 45 min. with GPS and PulseOx during the night. The  very strange thing about this is the fact, that I changed NOTHING!!! Without restart or reset,  without uninstall apps or widget. The only difference is I charged It to 99%. So now is 80%. We will see...
    • UPDATE: Dropped.from 80% to 62% during next 24 hours +  uninstalled everything from.connect IQ except Battery widget
    • UPDATE: Here is my result. From last tíme I wrote here the battery life is stable about 4-6 days. So... It looks like some apps or widget from connect IQ are responsible for this issue. I uninstalled everything and then everytime installed only one new app, datafield or widget for better monitoring.
  • Verrrry interesting.  I never use PulseOx anymore after going a month with very good numbers, so I've turned it on now and will test overnight.  My wife keeps her PulseOx  on 24/7 so will ask her how her battery has been.

EDIT: 7 hours sleep overnight, ~7% battery drain with PulseOx on (very reasonable).  Have gone through my morning charge routine and will be watching throughout the day for undue battery drain.

EDIT: Watch running nominally after topping up the battery this morning (after a night of PulseOx).  @RONNoS and @Marek, have you tried a factory reset?

• Yes of course, I tried this. But this solution worked for me only for a short term period. 

• Yes, I've noticed exactly the same problem now, August 23, 2020. I'm not surprised, after at least 20 software updates in the past few months. Clearly this watch was launched rushed and incomplete. If it's not fixed very soon I will return it for a refund and nuy something else. Luckily I bought it in a store with the best 2 year warranty available. 

• Having the same issues. I use minimal functions, standard Garmin settings and no 3rd party apps, but I do use pulse ox during sleep. Every so often and for no discernable reason the watch drops all its charge overnight. It can be fine for several days, dropping maybe 20% total between short daily charges ... but then as this morning I wake up to find the battery is completely dead. Bought a few months ago It has been doing this sporadically from new.

Did you get anywhere with resolving?

• Just done it again - dropped all of 70% charge overnight, Woke up with a totally dead watch!

• I had a similar problem. I remove my WiFi connection from the watch and looks good for now.

I'm afraid that when your watch is connected to WiFi, it checks updates. Because in some cases I've got a notification about "Update the software".

Also, I remove all widgets expect "My day", Health stats, Pulse and notifications.

• Thanks for the info.  I fully charged the Venu Friday afternoon and by Saturday night the message came on that the pulse oximeter was turned off because it was below 10%.  Lately I have woken up to find "runs" logged on the watch while I was sleeping with a map showing me being all over (wish that were true!) and Saturday morning it got stuck in a never-ending cycle of timing an activity.  I had to do a hard reboot to get out of that.  After reading this thread it looks like the activity was causing the drain and I might need to do a factory reset to clear out my 'midnight runs'. The watch is only 6 months old so I hope this is just a software glitch and not a problem with the watch itself.

• Since I've reset the watch, it's been good on battery, back to normal, except once when it went from 40 to 10% overnight. But the overwhelming majority of the time I'm back to getting around 4-5 days battery life, that's with a daily run, wrist gesture on, brightness on medium.