This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Pausing during workout

I’ve added in a strength based workout through the app. When I initiate it in the gym I cannot work out how to pause it if I have to gather equipment or wait for a machine/weights. It’s infuriating that it automatically  moves on and I can’t go back and redo a set or exercise. Am I missing something? 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Not a specific pause option but I use top button to pause. Press top button and if you are ready press top button again...

• There are a lot of opportunities to fix the workout routines. If I'm understanding your issue, the "rest" time elapses (if you have one set), and the device moves on to the next set. (Or perhaps you have your set time-based before moving to the next, instead of reps or some other option.) If you build your own workouts (I do), instead of selecting "rest" and then "time", I would recommend selecting "rest" and then "Lap Button Press" instead. That should do exactly as it states--wait for you to press the button to move on to the next step. When the equipment frees up, you can press the lap button to move on. Also, if you have duration for your reps instead of something like reps, that seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. I use reps for mine. If the watch actually hits the target I set (note I said the watch...and not me), it's very easy to move forward. If not, I can always edit. (Which, in my opinion, is a massive pain on the Venu due to the sensitive screen.)

I don't know of a way to go back to do a set, nor do I know of a way to skip a series of steps and then come back. (I need this, as I often have a series of sets that use a busy piece of equipment--so I move on and come back when it frees up.) I consider Garmin's implementation of Workouts as a .8 version. Maybe version 2 will actually provide the list of exercises, and one can pick from there.

Joel

• Thanks Joel. 

ive changed the rest period to lap button press and it’s exactly what I was after. 

I hope that they make the improvements to skip and move between exercises within a workout in future updates. 

• I would love to have a ability to pause a running activity. Whilst I'm aware you can press the Start/Stop button I don't believe this pauses the "time" like my previous forerunner did.  

• I don't have a run today to test, but thought that one of the options with the "start/stop" button was to "resume later," which as I recall did pause the time (duration) as well.

• I look forward to hearing the results of any tests that you could do. Its my opinion that when you press the Start/Stop button the recording of data is paused but the time isn't...but I would be pleased to be proved wrong! 

• It worked exactly as I thought it would. I started a run, stopped it at 1 minute, selected "resume later," started the run again 5 minutes later, stopped after another minute, and the total time shown was two minutes. This is reflected on the Fenix, in Connect on my iPhone and online. The elapsed time, of course, does show the 8+ minutes. The elapsed time is reflective of reality; the time at which the run started to the point it was ended was indeed 8+ minutes.

• Thanks very much for your reply... You mention "resume later" and "Fenix". I have a Venu and there does not appear to be a Resume Later option when you press the Start/Stop button. Was your feedback related to a Fenix and not Venu?? 

• Bah! Yes, I'm was using my Fenix 6 Pro for the test. That said, I just tested on the Venu. It behaves the same way with a mere press of the start/stop button. So, I guess I'm unclear as to what the desired behavior is. As with the test on my Fenix, the activity recorded two minutes of time for the actual run time. (I ran 1 minute, paused using the button, and restarted using the button with another minute of running.) The total duration was 4 minutes, again, reflecting the time from start to finish, but the time for the activity was two minutes.

The pause probably works the same way on the Fenix, but I just tested the resume later aspect (I don't really use pause--ever.). So, if your goal is to track, "Yes, I had an activity that started at 13:00 and ended at 13:30, but I paused my activity for a couple of minutes. So, my run time should actually be 28 minutes." then that is how it works today...with the button used to pause and restart. If it's something else, I don't understand the desire.

• I still remain confused about pausing. This was a walk at the weekend (pace graph) I didn't stop walking just hit the start/stop button and then carried on walking and then after a minute pressed the start/stop again.That gap looks like I stood still with the timer still running.