This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Watch face display delay for ConnectIQ faces..

Had a Venu for a few weeks now and something has been bugging me.. the delay for the screen turning on with either a button press or gesture. Any faces that are preloaded have no delay in activating the screen, whereas any face loaded on by ConnectIQ will have a 3-4 second delay Rolling eyes Spoke to customer support and all they could say is that it is due to a limitation of the hardware and would only offer me a refund. I know this is their first watch with an amoled screen but surely the technology has matured enough that they could have sorted this out before launching the watch. I've had samsung, lg, fitbit and even mi fit watches/bands and never had delays like this watch. 

Will this ever be addressed or are we stuck with it?

• Hello,

I think customer support, as most of time I had to deal with them, have no idea on what they are talking about.

Because doesn't make sense to me this delay be caused by the hardware, specially because the in-built Garmin watchfaces doesn't experiment this issue.

It does seem to be a software related issue, that programers aren't aware yet.

• I think that Garmin use emulators to test the software. not real devices and rely on their customers to do the latter.

Programmers prefer emulators for developing & updating device software. It's all done on a PC.

Software Engineers like to go further and test on the real device, as they understand how the hardware works. This is when thorough testing can be u undertaken. However, its labour intensive & hence expensive.

I  think Garmin employ Programmers, not software engineers.

Releasing a new device with immature software is symptomatic of doing all the testing on emulators.

The customers buy the new device and that's when the real testing starts....and they report the bugs. 

Unfortunately Garmin can only fix bugs replicated on their emulator.

Also software bugs tend to to be layered like an onion. A software fix is like removing a layer. Each layer removed exposed new bugs, but not necessarily  on the emulators.

That's why Garmin change log says bugs have been fixed, but users find other features broken by the update. Garmin have exposed the next layer.

It's a mess.

Garmin need to employ Software Engineers and budget for extensive testing on devices, if they want to improve the user experience.

Otherwise, the mess will soon become a quagmire as more new devices are released.

• The preloaded watch faces take about 0,7 second to turn on and the ConnectIQ wiil have 2 to 3 seconds delay. It's a shame and very annoying to be force to used the limited faces.

• I experience no delay with the vDash watch face from ConnectIQ.  I highly recommend that watchface.

• Installed vDash.

There is no delay only when display timeout is set to always on.

Selecting short timeout and there is a 2-3 second delay.

• Also, I have DND set for overnight.

Now the display is off and only turns on when a button is pressed.

There is a 2-3 second delay before the display turns on.

This delay is an issue that Garmin needs to address.

If it really is a limitation of the hardware, then why is such an important fact missing from the specification and marketing information. I suspect it's missing to avoid loss of sales.

However, I'm of the view that it's a limitation of the current firmware, otherwise the built-in watchfaces would have delay, but they don't. 

• I have Just received my watch and the delay is crazy. By the way, I have realized that it doesn't happens if you have AOD active.

• For sure, always on means that the display is "always on", and the watching is not resting!

But I'm afraid using always on in olead displays: there are several reports talking about the burning-in damage, despite Garmin tells this device is design to minimize this issue.

• Yeah, but in the AOD mode it only displays the time, not all the data that the normal sphere has. Maybe with the not default spheres the watch enters in some kind of deep sleep, that delays the activation, I don't know.

• I have the same problem. This delay is very annoying.