This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Venu - Manually added workouts are not syncing / available on device

Dear Garmin support,
Recently purchased a Garmin Venu and have been using it for over a week now.
Using most recent version of iOS (13), most recent app version on iPhone XS Max, and most recent Garmin firmware 4.0.0.
I've been trying to add custom workouts but nothing seems to work, quite frustrating.
I consider myself reasonably tech savvy and I think I tried most options already, I hope I am missing something really obvious.
I've tried adding workouts using the recommended procedure given in https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=wZ52AaLbLG2GC1Lxu2l4k7.
First try was adding a workout under 'Custom' category but as that category did not show up on my watch I tried adding a standard interval repeat workout under 'Cardio' and/or 'Running' category.
The newly created workout was sent to the device using 'Send to device' button.
The app syncs but the workouts never show up on the watch.
I expect the workouts to appear in the list after, 'Select activity type', Swipe up, 'Workouts'.
I am able to find the built-in workouts on the watch but new workouts are nowhere to be found.
Falling back to a different online suggestion to first add the workout to the calendar and run it from there also doesn't work as also the calendar remains empty on my Venu device.
I also tried the same procedure using Garmin Express from my Macbook (all recent updates) but I get exactly the same results. No workouts on Venu watch.
Any recommendations on how to fix because now I have a fairly expensive watch that is not able to run a simple interval timer :-|
  • Could be there is a max number of workouts allowed on the watch and you hit it.  Try deleting a couple and see if you can add new ones.

• Bingo! I deleted some pre-loaded workouts and now my custom one is showing up! I had to choose though like cardio/strength for it to work.

• There is a limit of eight (8) workouts at any given time on the Venu and Vivo watches (at least for Strength activities). This is unpublished and support reps will not confirm this (or at least the one I spoke with said he cannot confirm it, but later in the conversation he alluded to knowing about this)

Solutions: Delete and resync the new workouts.

1.) Delete a workout from the watch. Any one will do so long as you have fewer than 8.

2.) From the Connect app, select the new workout you want to add and use "send to device." 

3.) Sync.

4.) The workout should be visible. 

Alternatively, use "Add to Calendar" 

1.) Delete workouts from the watch (I deleted all of them. I did not test at the max of 8 or with a reduced number, so YMMV.)

2.) In the Connect app, open the workout.

3.) Tap "Add to Calendar."

4.) Pick today's date.

5.) Sync.

6.) On the watch, start a strength activity. The device will prompt you with a the workout added to the calendar, and ask you to do the workout. The workout is not stored on the device. 

The advantage I've found is I'm constantly tweaking my routines. With the add-to-calendar method, I can make updates in the app, add to calendar, sync, and start my updated workout within seconds. I don't have to wonder whether I've synced the most recent version. I also don't have to worry about whether the workout is synced. I simply hit "add to calendar" and it'll be there. 

Hope this helps.

• Hello! Can I ask, youcould you created custom workout? Thanks for your answer!

• Sure. There are two ways:

1.) On the Garmin Connect website, on the left side navigation, go to "Training" > "Workouts" > "Create a Workout"

2.) On the Garmin Connect app, go to "Workouts" (you may need to tap "More" if it isn't on your screen) > "Create a Workout"

• https://youtu.be/wYD1hFxSqNI
    My custom workouts sync fine on my Venu, but I had no idea where to find them until I watched this video. It may be of use to those new to Garmin, such as me. Moving from the simplicity of the Apple Watch to the complexity of Garmin has been a challenge. 

• I successfully created a workout, but when I tap the "send to device" icon, the next screen shows a ghosted message at the top that says NOT COMPATIBLE. Why would they let me create the workout? And the same workout can be sent to my calendar *and* shows up on the "My Day" screen, but I can't play it on my watch. I'm so frustrated.

• Dear Toolmanca1 - Thank you so much for this as I have been trying to resolve this for around 2 years!   Although it's a little annoying that we have to carry out extra steps but it's working and I'm happy!  Thanks again.  Chocciechops