This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Display problems after 4.0SW upgrade

Hi,

I have just upgraded my Garmin Venu's software to 4.0 and I'm facing some display issues now.

1. It seems like the software is adjusting the birgthness of the watch automatically. For example If i push any of the buttons then the clock face has the brightest setting (what I actually set in the options) but in 1 second it becomes darker and darker. Then it starts changing from dark to light randomly. Does anyone have the same problem?

2. As far as I know in some of the previous releases Garmin fixed my first problem and also introduced 3 brightness setups. Now, even though I have the 3 setups in my watch settings all of them have the same brigthness doesn't matter which one I choose. Maybe oneone has this problem as well?

3. Before the update I used my watch in always on display mode. I checked and after the upgrade I still have this option ON. However, if i push any phisical button om my watch then the whole clock appears and after the lock time is over then only the always on watch face appears BUT then it becomes totally dark. The watch was in my wrist and I wasn't in sleep hours and use Garmin official watch face.

I spoke with the support who told me to make a total restore. I did it but as soon as the watch switched on after the restore my above mentioned 1. problem occured. I didnt have time for connecting my phone but the screen started being darker then lighter...(btw. it was just another annoying thing that after the restore it took another 1 hour to be able to configure every previous settings back, especially garmin pay which was successfull only for the 10th time while previously it worked immediately...).

As these display bugs are very very annoying please help me if you have already faced these issues and found any solution or if these bugs are not bugs but somewhat features then help me to get back the previous software or anything...

Thanks,

Daniel

• As for the display brightness I have the following operation.

The display turns on on full brightness (irrespective of the brightness setting) and slowly, over 3 to 4 seconds, dims to the set brightness setting. The 3 brightness settings provide different levels of brightness.

From memory the above behaviour was present on 3.8 but possibly  not on 3.6 - not too sure but don't think the display came on at full brightness on 3.6.

Only had 3.6 for about a day. Only had the Venu for 2 weeks.

What has changed is the display timeout periods.

Prior to 4.0 the short timeout was 4 seconds.

On 4.0 the short timeout is 14 seconds.

I'm not going to do a factory reset, for the reasons you stated, as I can live with the longer timeout. Once I have read the display a slight turn of the wrist away from the body turns off the display (only works for display turn on via gesture)

Finally, 4.0 seems to have improved battery life - drain is 12% per day with Bluetooth on all day, pulse ox at night and built in analogue watch - I find the CIQ watch face are too slow to turn on and have a higher battery drain.

• SW 4.50 - brightness is still in three levels, but cant set it up.

no matter which level I choose, VENU still has brightness automatic. But there is no button for getiing automatic brightness off.

any solution?

• Hi Daniel, 

I'm having the exact problem on mine, it's very annoying. 

It's almost as if there is an automatic display setting and no matter which brightness option I use, the brightness is the same. 

It seems to flicker between brightness when I'm scrolling through the menu etc, which is very frustrating. 

Have you found a solution to this yet?

Thanks, 

Mike

• Hi Daniel,

Same problems here.

I can set the brigtness to any level but it seems that the venu randomly choose its own brigthness level.

You can also check this when you go to the brigthness settings and quick switch between the middle and lower level. Sometimes on the lower settings the display reduce and immeditaly increase the brightness a little bit. This is annoying....

Yesterday i installed the crystal clear watch face. I have the display always on option enabled. The "battery save screen" (where the display should go darker and just should show the time) is brighter than a flashlight.

My sleep time is till 5am when i have to get to work, but on the weekend when ill sleep longer, the display shines bright (from 5am) and there is no setting to turn it off again. This is disturbing... So i have to get up because i cant sleep any longer when the watch shines like someone turns on the bedroom light...

Greetings Dennis