Anyone use the continuous pulse ox during sleep? What are your results?

Hey guys,

Curious if anyone uses the continuous pulse ox during sleep? I want to get other people's results.

I have been having some sleeping troubles for a while now, and I have noticed that my Venu shows that my oxygen level regularly drops throughout the night. Generally to as low as 85%. As low as 82% one time. This seems concerning to me, as I am in good physical shape and relatively young (29 y/o). I'm reading online, that normal sleep blood ox should not drop below 88%. 

I am concerned that I may have sleep apnea or some other form of sleeping disorder.  Before I get to carried away and start seeing doctors etc, I wanted to see what other people are seeing from their watch, to rule out any inaccuracies etc.

Thanks everyone! 

• For me it's 94 % average. 

Sometimes in the night it's even below 90 %. 

• and we still dont know how accurate the measurement is. Expressionless

• First day with device and night set for sleep monitoring.  Surprised to see that pulse ox dipped to 80% and average 88%.  I also had arm fall asleep at least twice that I know of.  I also have Hashimotos with high antibodies.   Wondering if there is a connection with sleep disturbance and hashimotos.  And the theory of  lack of good circulation makes sense in that the oxygen level would be reduced . 

• According to the hospital "Terrible" - I was admitted based on being potential Covid symptoms pending tests. My Venu 4 was showing SPo2 at 91%, hooked up to the hospital machines they read 96% - this is wide awake sat up in a bed. The Garmin site suggests darker skin types and location may be an issue, I have possibly the palest skin you've ever seen so I'm not believing that to be the fault. 

• I wear a an overnight SpO2 monitor and am currently crashing to 70% for up to an hour on rare occasion.  What are you using for the "medical-grade device"?  Thanks.

• The CMS50F. This is the same FDA approved device as the one my doctor sent for my overnight at home sleep study.

• Hey,

If you are young fit and not overweight it's pretty unlikely.

As others say ask ppl if you snore or make odd gasping noises. If you were really concerned or for others waiting for an appointment you could try recording yourself overnight. Although your braver than me if you can bare to watch it back :p 

The other things is sleepiness in the day, most ppl with apnea are super sleepy in the day. Google the score I want to say it's called Epworth sleep score but sleep apnoea score and Google will find! Often also v hungry or craving high calorie food, which is why weight loss whilst having untreated self apnoea is HARD (although it helps if contributing). 

My guess is it's the device! I've jvet switched from Fitbit to Garmin Venu square. Mostly for the body battery, I'm a doctor working in ITU and hoping it will help me cope and find some balance. I've noticed it's reading my day time sats at 92-94% which is below normal for healthy (96-98 % and up to 100). I had Covid back in March with some medium/long term issues but actually no shortness of breath for a couple of months (yay for improvement!!). I checked against my portable sats probe and it's reading 97% when Venu says 94%. For a sats reading that's a notable difference. Im using a cheap standard portable sats probe but tested against work devices as accurate down to about 80%. I'm going to double check Garmin read against a sats probe at work on Monday but I've monitored my sats post Covid on and off at work and only lower in first 2-3 months. 

It also puts my sleep average as 92 down to 88% which seems odd, although variation of only 4% is okay for night time variation. I guess this device is not very accurate basically. In which case not sure they should be releasing the feature? For anyone who might have sleep apnoea esp with being overweight one key factor is the difference between the highest and lowest number (like in mine above only 4%). If you have big drops and frequently that's more likely.  You might also see it's worse if you sleep on your back (so don't!) and worse after alcohol. Unless the poster with goitre has constant pressure on her airway from the large thyroid then it might run low when lying flat?  Anyone getting sats of 72% as someone mentioned below would be very sick, that's close to the limits of most medical sats devices and except in our very sick Covid patients in extremis (who we immediately give high flow 02 or intubate/ventilate) I've never seen it! So I'd be seriously skeptical if device tells you that. If your stuck waiting for an appointment Amazon do 02 sats probes for £10-15 if you want cross check. 

Curious if Garmin have released any data on their sats accuracy? They are going to risk causing anxiety and flooding sleep apnoea services. 

• good insight, thanks! Agreed Garmin should work on this.  I stopped using it on the D2 air for sleeping - but when flying this kind of intel is pretty essential.  Wonder if Garmin read these forums.

• Overnight SPo2 is totally wrong I can assure you. I own 2 fingertip oxymeters and also another FDA approved overnight SPo2 device and one more o2 ring, the last two record every second. So Venu is almost always lower during the day, I can measure 5 times in a row 93% but when I move the watch I might also measure 95% again 5 times in a row. It suepr inconsistent from measuremen to measurement, its been a cases where it show 92 when all the other 4 show 97-98%. All oxymeters suffer accuracywise in the lower numbers, so at night if you drop to 92-93% real level and combine that with movement, watch placement and arm possition those 92-93% can easily besome 83%. Also the watch haas a LOT of drops when it can't measure because of the placemnt or something, at other times in might measure but its totally wrong. 
    Its like the HR sensor, half of the training session can be pretty good and the other half terrible...and you never know when and why.