This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Really like the new Venu

I was surprised with the OLED move from Garmin but it feels like the right move.

I have the VA3M and I've been really impressed with it. I don't like the VA4 - the sizes are worse than the VA3 and it's so close to the Venu in price it makes no sense, unless you need the longer battery life.

The slight concerns I have for the Venu are the bezel looks odd and it doesn't seem to make the best use of the display. It's also so close to the apple watch in price I might just buy that instead. I prefer the round watch face of the Garmin and the fitness features are miles better, but the apple watch looks more premium. I hope I'm wrong and I choose the Garmin because it just works.

• Also depends on what ecosystem you're invested in...Apple Watch does not sync with Garmin Connect and manual exports are very hit and miss. I had both as an experiment last winter and while I loved AW for its flawless execution and great phone interface, at the end of the day it got very tiresome doing all the manual exports to sync w GC (and subsequent error & export corrections) so I went back to a VA3 (and my 10 years of Garmin cloud data), and will grab a Venu when they come out.

Not to be discounted is the fact that if you only use an Android phone you're more or less SOL with Apple Watch, at least for the time being. Apple is prepping an update to circumvent an iphone as a prerequisite for a Watch, but Garmin will never allow direct sync to GC from Apple. Cobbling together a fix to circumvent the need for an iphone is just another half-assed attempt by Apple to expand their market without really making any effort.

The day an Apple Watch can seamlessly and automatically sync to GC, I'll be the first to buy another Watch.

• Having just got a venu - the screen is absolutely awesome!! I had a galaxy watch which looked awesome, but sucked for anything else but looking at it. This is a great watch!

• That sounds encouraging. How does the watch in general look and did you get the black/slate version? I'm looking for something that might make me leave my traditional wristwatch at home more often.

• yeah, black/slate. It looks good .. the faces look awesome. The always on feature doesn't seem to work for faces other than the Garmin ones at the moment (they don't have a dim setting by the look of things).

It looks real nice, but works like a standard Garmin watch - think vivoactive 3, same operations, but way nicer looking. 

• Am looking forward to getting one here in Canada