This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My is my Vo2max going in the wrong direction

When I started a few months back my Vo2max had me as 50 years old and bottom 40%, I accept this because I have started a journey to change my life. I am 46 and was 18 stone. I am now 16.5 stone and can now on week 5 of a C25K. Feeling proud running for 7 minutes in a row but my Vo2max is bottom 30% and estimated age of 56. What the *** is going on. 

• Hi, was your first V02 max done walking or running?  Just curious as it may measure them differently?  Congratulations and way to go btw Slight smile

• Thanks for responding, I run 3 or 4 times a week, treadmill Fat burning walks and walks with the kids so it is a bit of a mix. My wife has the same watch and does the same activities but a much better Vo2max

• I’d go on a 20 minute walk outside for comparison and see what V02 max it shows.  You’d think it would be the same but worth comparing.

• I might be asking the wrong question but is there a way to se a Vo2max per exercise

• As far as I can tell no, you can’t go back and see it in the app or on the watch under Activities which I don’t understand as it always displays it after my walk so I know the data is available.  For some reason they just don’t display it after the fact.  Also, make sure you keep the “fitness age” under Health updated with the right weight as it uses that also to calculate it.

• Great thanks, I have found to be demotivating watching my age get worse as I feel fitter

• There are numerous reasons for incorrect vo2max assesment. Without looking at the data it is hard to tell which one is your case. First thing to know is that when you start using your watch the initial vo2max indication can be very inaccurate, unitl several weeks into training. Also very important is that your hr paramteres like resting heart rate and max heart rate are correct.

Generally, decreasing vo2max means that for some reason the watch thinks that your performance is getting worse over time. This can happen for example if you run at the same pace, but with higher heart rate. Try comparing some of your earlier runs with current ones, paying close attention to hr vs. pace. Perhaps you'll notice a pattern there.