This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Venu SQ corrupted FIT files everytime I go for activities with Lap sections

Hello Garmin Community.

First and foremost I had my Garmin Venu SQ for almost 3 months now and hasn't missed a beat until recently.

Love the Garmin for all it does but it's been a bit problematic lately. Only happened in the last 4 days; Anytime i do any activity that saves lap sections - the activity tracks very well, when I finish my activity (IE Run) and end activity, it calculates the pace, HR and all and when i press the "tick" to save it... the garmin device crashes and restarts - comes back nearly immediately to re-do the save.

When i re-do the save it saves the mapped run but all stats are 0.

0 pace, 0 HR, 0 time, 0 distance , map shows and the HR graph shows the data is blank.

Every file I had i was able to repair with online tool (https://www.fitfiletools.com/) and I used the "section remover"... I don't even remove a section, I just load it in - press "Go!" - it generates a new FIT file and i can upload that into garmin connect and it takes straight away.

It's a bit frustrating I need to do this on every activtiy now and when I do use this workaround - the HR stats for the day is completely skewed, the calorie count is skewed... the intensity minutes is fine so it's saving something but always corrupting.

What i did so far:
- Delete all FIT files in the activity folder on the garmin (i first thought it was a space issue)

- Factory reset the entire watch and all data

Issues persist.

Watch has:
- Custom Forerunner 645 watch face.

- Battery Widget 

That's it.

It's using metric data.

I have attached the 3 corupted FIT files as well if you're curious into what's causing the corruption (I honestly have no clue)

Garmin FIT files.zip

• Oh I cannot edit a ready made post - Another comment I want to add is that I did a indoor cycling and walk and it saves successfully, seems to be my runs which i track laps.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago

solved

• Hey there,

Thanks for the advice :) will defintely go down that route if needed.

Basically when I go for walks for an hour, it doesn't crash and corrupt the FIT file on saving activity.

When i go for a run and it tracks my laps (1km per lap); after a 30minute run and i press the button to stop activity, it prompts the data and asks me to save. I press the "tick" icon to save and it shows Saving activity before the dreaded restart happens; it comes back after 3 seconds and prompts me to save my activity again, this time i press the tick it shows "Activity saved" but with the 0 data information I shared (and those FIT files i provided).

When i go for a run where I do not enable lap tracking, the run saves fine.

It's a bit strange.

Since the initial post what I have also done is:

1) Hard reset the watch (press the button A for up to 15 seconds to turn it off)

2) Removed the battery widget completely just incase that as a problem.

Went for a run earlier today tracking 1KM laps (ran for 5 km) and it saved successfully!

I haven't deleted the actual "ACTIVITY" folder, i just copied all the files inside there out the other day so there's only 2 files left in there from my last two activities.

If the corruption issue happens again i'll contact Garmin support and keep you all posted.

Thank you,

Matt