This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Text message disappears after the initial notification

How do I view text messages after the initial notification?  They seem to disappear as soon as the notification is received, even when I haven't read them.  If I'm in a meeting, I can't read the message immediately.  I want to be able to read it later, but when I go to Notifications, it says "No Notifications"

• Not sure what kind of phone you have but my iPhone notifications from messages do not end up in the notification widget on the watch once they clear off of the watch face.

You can make sure you can view them later:  Go to settings, phone on the watch.  Make sure “not during activity” is set to “show all”, and privacy should be set to “action” or “gesture”.  This will send through a notification on the watch that you have a message and who its from but not the content.  You can view the actual content later after the meeting.  It will leave a reminder on the top of the watch that you have a notification to see and then when you tap on it you’ll see the actual message along with the ability to clear it.  Doing it this way my messages do appear in the notifications widget if I don’t clear them...

• Thanks very much CindiL.  I have updated the settings and will see if it works during the week.

• Perhaps this varies between iPhone and Android. I have Android and the notifications shown on the watch are always exactly those shown on the phone. The watch allows me to read the content of a notification (eg. a text or e-mail message) at any time, and the notification remains on the watch for as long as it remains on the phone.

• Hi Andrew I would love to know what phone and Garmin device you are using and what settings you applied. You are one of the rare fellows that has a functional text and email receiving device.

• Hi, RossI 

My watch is a Venu sq Music, and my phone a very ordinary Samsung Galaxy A7 with Android v. 10.

The settings I have in Garmin Connect on my phone (accessed from the hamburger menu at the top left of the home screen) are as follows:

Notifications

• Push Notifications: on (but a lot of individual push-notifications in the list are turned off)
    • Allow Email Notifications: off (this does not directly affect notifications appearing on the watch)
    • App Notifications: Notification Access on (I don't know what that is for); individual applications in the list - some are on and some are off: the Messages app is on, and the Gmail app is on. 

Phone Permissions (some of these may be specific to Samsung phones)

• Everything is on (including SMS Messages)
    • At the bottom of Phone Permissions is a button "Manage Permissions" - these are Android settings for the Connect app: here, under "App settings", I have Notifications allowed, and within that:
      • Show notifications  = on
      • most of the Categories = on

Also under "App settings" there is Permissions: within this I have everything allowed except Storage.

I did not make any significant modifications to any of these settings, apart from turning off a few things I did not want to receive notifications about. Basically, it all just worked out of the box.

I hope you have some success in getting things working.

Andrew

• Thanks Cindi!  I had mine set to gesture so if I was moving around when I got a text by the time I could look at it the message was gone.  Changed it to ACTION and now it stays on my watch until I specifically ask it to show me the message.  This has bothered me for the full year since I got the watch!