This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Pay isn't working anymore, after a software update (I'm pretty sure of that)

I've had my Venu Sq for less than 6 months. I used to be able to use Garmin Pay to pay for my groceries. Somewhere last week, it stopped working. In my supermarket, it's fairly common to pay with NFC. I tried: deleting the card in Connect and adding it back, restarting my phone, restarting my watch, deleting the cache files of the Connect app, resetting default settings on the watch (and adding the card again), and nothing seemed to work. The terminal says: "Kaart geweigerd. Lees chip, magneetstrip of andere kaart", which basically says: "Card declined. Read chip, magnetstripe or other card". Our bank cards are Maestro cards here, in the Netherlands, and I've added my bank card as Maestro. I have contacted my bank, they saw my card is successfully connected to Garmin Pay, and said it might be my NFC chip being damaged. Great for them to blame it on my NFC chip, but I've been so careful with my watch, that it can't be damaged, that's pretty much impossible. 

After I had that software update on my watch last week, this issue started. 

I'm not looking forward to have to send my watch back to the store I bought it from, to get a new one, because I'm careful with my watch. I went on Reddit and another Dutch person also has this issue with her Venu Sq. She got it in January, and has never been able to use it. She's with a different bank. 

• I just received confirmation by email from Garmin support that they will roll out a fix in the coming month.

Good news because Garmin seems to have found the bug and is preparing a fix

Not so good news because it took Garmin over 2 months to find the bug - so not high on the priority list

Very annoyed because I have owned my Garmin for 5 months and I specifically bought it for Garmin Pay.
    For half of the time I owned my Garmin I have not been able to use my watch's main function.

Very frustrating because I switched over from Fitbit because of all their software issues.
    Now Fitbit has rolled out a couple of very good fixes and is working great and I am in the wait-for-fix software bug cycle with Garmin.

• I have not received such a confirmation by mail. @Garminsupport can you confirm this here please?

• Really? Still no news at all, not here and also no response to my inquiry for a solution to garmin support in the Netherlands. This is really pissing me off! What happened to customer satisfaction, it's dropping to below zero. 

• Can we please get an update about this? It's been 14 days since i bought my watch and we haven't even received the slightest of news..

• Hearing nothing is totally frustrating.

I also find it strange that nobody else has heard from Garmin Support.

After having been in contact with them since the end of March and sending log and config files and eventually a dump of all the files on my Venu SQ, this is what I received by email from Garmin Netherlands Support on 10 May:

In Dutch:

Beste ##### ,

Bedankt dat u contact heeft opgenomen met Garmin Support.

Er staat een software release gepland die het probleem oplost. Deze zal binnen nu en een maand gelanceerd moeten worden.

English translation:

Dear #####,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Support.

There is a software release planned that fixes this problem. This should be launched within now and one month.

• I am sorry for the frustration. I certainly understand. I do not like to post unless I have new news to provide. There will be an update released that will fix this. I again, apologize for the frustration and the inconvenience this has caused for you guys. 

• Hi Amber, you're not to blame personally but the way Garmin is handling this is the main problem. So for everybody's sake and because  user3757166 is the only one that received a mail: is the update indeed planned between the 10th of May plus 1 month?

I think we've made it clear that by now we deserve some kind of planning commitment.

• Thank you, I completely understand too. I was not given a timeline on my end, I have reached back out to find out if they can give me one! As soon as I find out I will update here. 

• Same problem here. I used to be able to pay with my Dutch Rabobank card on my Venu Sq, until suddenly, I was getting an error message when trying to pay.

KAART GEWEIGERD. LEES CHIP, MAGNEETSTRIP OF ANDERE KAART

I tried many things, like removing the card from the app and adding it again, reinstalling the app, ... Nothing worked.

The only reason I bought a Garmin watch instead of an Android Wear watch, is the contactless payment feature on the Garmin watch. This issue really should be fixed soon!

Please let me know if you need any more details.

• Hello! I do know that Maestro bank was fixed with the update we just released. I will reach out to my team regarding this and find out what we need to do. A few things, is your HR sensor off when you are trying to pay? Have you verified with your bank that nothing is wrong with the card itself?