This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Indoor Rowing not counting toward intensity minutes.

I started an Indoor Rowing activity on my Venu Sq and rowed for about 30 minutes with 16 minutes in heart rate zone 4. For some reason I am getting 0 intensity minutes or this. I have tried it set to Auto and Heart Rate Zone but it made no change (when I did the row heart rate zones was off so Auto i guess).

Am I setting something up incorrectly or will Garmin connect not count rowing for intensity minutes for some reason?

Thank you,

• It sounds like maybe you have a corrupt fit file.  I don’t think its anything you’ve done. 

Have you tried it again?

• I did it again and it did work.

Thanks.

• I have the same problem. Did you change anything at the device? I get 0 intensity minutes while rowing for 45 minutes, with 89 % of the time in heart rate zone 3 and above.

• I agree, this seems broken.

I do workouts of 45 minutes on the ergometer, going close to maximum heart rate. When I get off I am soaked in sweat and can barely walk. Garmin's assessment: 21 intensity minutes (13 moderate, 4 vigorous). It's just plain wrong.

Have tried changing the intensity tracking between "automatic" and "zones" on my device but it hasn't improved anything.

Please look into this!

• I changed the settings on my watch (Instinct Solar) to: "Intensity Tracker based on Heartrate" (not automatic). This fixed the problem for me.

The settings can be changed on the garmin connect website, not directly at the watch.

• I was having the problem on my spin bike. I was also soaked in sweat. The sweat was keeping the wrist HR sensor which is optical from getting a good HR reading. I pared it with my chest HR strap and I now get intensity minutes. You need to start an activity to do this it won't use the chest strap if an activity is not running.

I don't have this problem riding outside as the sweat evaporates a lot quicker and the wrist HR sensor works. . 

• I have this exact same problem every time I row indoors. MY HR is set to zones  and not automatic (and has been since day 2) I typically row for 15 to 20 minutes at night and my HR will rise into zone 3 and 4 within 2 minutes, so I meet the 10 minute minimum. I have never received credit for these minutes, it is frustrating. When I look at my Intensity graph for those days it shows my morning bike ride, but then just flat for the rest of the day/night...every time.

• Make sure besides the HR settings set to zones you also check what zones you have picked for moderate and vigorous intensity in the app under Activity Tracking.  Moderate should be zone 2 and vigorous zone 3.  Also check in the app under user settings what the heart rate zones are set as, it should go 50-100% from zone 1 to zone 5.

• Is it possible that the indoor rowing doesn't count because it's the ergdata-app that creates the activity and not your watch?

I'm having the same issue.