This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Venu SQ ~ do we have elevation (ascent/descent) calculation in workouts ?

Hi all !

I'm interested into getting a Venu SQ. Could someone confirm that Elevation (or even an estimation of that) *is* actually calculated in activities, by using the GPS, although the device does not have a barometric altimeter ?

To clarify: doesn't the Garmin app calculate an estimation of the elevation / ascent / descent in activities, using the GPS data it takes from the SQ, regardless of whether the tracker has an altimeter ? 

Thanks in advance.

• Hello! Once the device has synced to the Garmin app, the App calculates the estimation of elevation / ascent / descent in activities from the GPS data. If you have any other questions regarding this device, just tag me and I am happy to help you out! 

• Hello, I have a question on this topic as well. I am new to Garmin and just bought a Venu Sq. I would like to know of there is a possibility to add Current Altitude to data fields in either Walk or Run activity, so that I can see the altitude during the activity. 
    I know this option exists with Forerunner 245 (the 245 does not have an altimeter either, but uses GPS only to determine altitude, just like the Sq), however I am unable to find it with the Sq.
    In case I have no such option, is there an external widget I could download?

Thank you so much.
    Ana

• Hmm, in taking a brief look the Connect IQ app there is an "elevation change" data field you can download but not just an "elevation" data field.  There is an elevation widget you can download though.

• Indeed, the Venu SQ seems to be missing any altitude-related data fields, except vertical speed, which is weird.

• Hello! This is not an option on the Venu SQ! 

• You can see  GPS altitude,  if you use custom data fields loaded from Garmin IQ (dozen walk, walker, Big Numbers,...)

• Dear Amber, why is this no option on Venu Sq? Even my old Forerunner 220 has altitude as a datafield. Altitude out of GPS would be enough for us. It would be great if you could check to enable Altitude also for Venu Sq, please. Thank you.

• Hmm, in taking a brief look the Connect IQ app there is an "elevation change" data field you can download but not just an "elevation" data field.  There is an elevation widget you can download though.

Hey, I created one of the "Elevation Change" data fields in the store.

I don't have a dedicated "Elevation" data field, but you can view GPS elevation on your Venu Sq by downloading the AppBuilder 5 data field and using the following settings:

Label: Elevation

Formula: altitude

Display Format: Auto

(The label can be changed to whatever you want.)

There's also a Total Ascent data field, if anyone's interested.

• There is also a great program called dwMap that shows minimum, maximum elevation as well as elevation changes.  You can create custom routes and load one at a time to the watch.  It shows GPS route as well as lots of data including elevation.

• Yep, dwMap is one of my favorite apps. I used to use it all the time until I got a watch that supports navigation. But it does completely replace your built-in activity (like Run), so when you use it, you do lose any built-in run features that aren't reimplemented by dwMap.