This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Failed to save workout

I went for run this afternoon. Started my activity, waited for the green bar of GPS and said ready. During my run I noticed my distance says 0 despite me being in more than a 1km already. After my run I wanted to save my workout... it kept running circles and finally stated failed to save. There is no record on my watch of my workout. This is annoying as I not only lost my data but also my points for vitality. My watch Venu sq is brand new and disappointing to experience this on a new watch. Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix? 

• Hello! I apologize you experienced this issue. Can you plug your device into the computer and download Garmin Express and sync the device. If your device has not yet received the new GPS update can you let me know. 

• Hi there, 

I just had a similar experience.

I did a 90km bike ride and after stopping at the end and swiping up to save, the little bike icon actually showed 90km. I proceeded to sync with my iPhone and after this, the activity did not show up.

I followed the steps to sync manually with the watch connected to my laptop. I found the .FIT file for my workout (the only one today), and I attempted to upload through Garmin Connect on the Web Browser and it failed. I noticed the file size was much smaller than al the other .FIT files on the watch: the one for my 90km ride was less than a mb of size... 

It looks to me that the watch failed to correctly save my workout.

• Hey, the same thing here, my very first activity got this bug and afterward several more, latest happened today with the latest updates :/. Couldn't even repair fit file with online tools in several cases it looks like (by size compared to other files) that part of the file is missing.

• I have also had issues with corrupted fit files on my Venu Sq.  When I purchased it in earlier October 2 of my first 3 runs produced corrupted fit files that would not sync.  I called customer supported and provided supporting data from those runs.  The issue was not directly resolved but after that second time I didn't not experience it again until today. For those first two runs where I had an issue I noticed:

• I would not get a summary screen after selecting save
    • The activity still showed up in the My day widget but no details for it could be accessed
    • It could not be fixed using online tools developed by other users

The only potential root cause I could determine is maybe I hit save multiple time since it took a little time to commit the save action.  I made it a point to only select it once for all future activities.  Not sure if this had anything to do with it but I have not had any issues saving an outdoor run since then.  

Today I experienced it after a Treadmill run.  The screen to calibrate/save came up after the run and I selected save.  No summary and it produced a FIT file that would not sync.

I have to manually remove the FIT file from the device (but keep a copy) or else Garmin Express syncs will report an error with the file at every sync via USB.  

I thought I may have just had a defective unit but it appears other users have experience the issue.  Hopefully it is address via a software update soon because it is incredibly frustrating losing workout data.

• It could not be fixed using online tools developed by other users

Please zip then attach a corrupt FIT file here. We can give it a shot. Slight smile. There are other tools (not online) that could fix this.

• Thank you for the offer!  I was able to export the workout from the Treadmill session and import it manually.  Not perfect as I didn't have my heart rate monitor on so lost that data but no biggie.  My real concern is that corrupt FIT files are being created by the Venu Sq randomly and hope the root cause can be identified and fixed.  I moved from a Fitbit to Garmin and really happy with the Venu Sq but I can say that over many years never had an a activity that failed to save on my old Ionic.

• Understood. I can say from reading this forum and fixing many FIT file issues, that there are specific Garmin devices that tend to have issues. Usually, it's the low-end Forerunners, such as the 25, 30, and 35. The Venu and Venu Sq do come up as an issue occasionally, but not as often. One thing that is often recommended if you have chronic issues is to keep the \GARMIN\ACTIVTY cleaned out periodically using these directions: Removing Recorded Activities to Free Up Space on a Garmin Fitness Device

Also, consider a factory reset, which can clear out all corrupt data, including problematic Connect IQ watch faces, data fields, widgets and apps. If after all of this it keeps happening, I would contact Garmin for further advice, which could include a warranty replacement.

• I will follow your suggestion about making sure to hit save just once after a workout.

I recall hitting save more than once on my device when I had the issue.

Great suggestion, Thank you!

I hope this can be a viable workaround.

• Same here. I started a walking activity. At the end of the walk i stopped the activity. At home i sync the watch via bluetooth to my gsm.  But at my surprise the activity was not uploaded. 

So i check my watch history. There i see my walk activity with starting hour. But when i tap on it to see the details everything field is 0. 0 distance, 0 time, ...  Even the date is weird.  it says 31 Dec 89? So i lost that data!

I am very worried if the basic features of this sport watch (recording  activity) are not working correctly !!!

• Hi, I had a very similar experience and tried the same thing...did a 6.4 mile run, and when I saved (pressed the save multiple times because i had gloves on and it was unresponsive), I never recieved a summary..  The activity is listed, but as 0 mi..  I tried to manually import the .fit file into Garmin connect, but it said the file is not supported (which is weird).   

Honestly, it's so frustrating that this happens, now i can't view my performance comparatively.  This bug needs to be fixed.  Thinking of trashing this watch for something else that works better if this keeps happening.