This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Index Scale 2... it needs to come quickly.

Hi guys. For many of who didn't buy the Garmin Index and now need a smart scale in the Garmin ecosystem, the ageing Garmin Index is not an appealing prospect and is looking a bit long in the tooth.

I saw mention that the Garmin Index 2 may be announced soon... has anyone heard anything? Slight smile

• The rumor that a new one is coming is there. My question is... which changes it will bring? 

• Why does it need to come quickly?

The Index 1 is working fine if it is connecting. If there is a Index 2, it needs handles to measure body fat more accurate to get an advantage over Index 1.

The biggest limitation still is Garmin Connect which is not able to process more than one weight in per day. Look at the Withings software and how they do it (also, how they average over time), this is awesome.

• Gotta agree mostly about allowing more than a measurement a day (so that's not scale related and could be achieved by a software - Garmin. Connect - or/and firmware upgrade).

The connecting issues, from what I read, have improved.

So it would be about more accurate measurements and maybe new metrics...

By the way I have a Withings scale and after considering an upgrade I am trying to justify it to myself as unless it brings something new it's just to concentrate everything at the same platform what I am not sure is VfM...

• Yes, the connection issues are gone for me since they repaired the NTP problem.

What measurements are you missing? You get weight, BMI (useless in almost every sporting case), body fat and muscle mass. Unnecessary measurements like body water and bone mass (not affecting anything) are also there.

I switched a few years ago from Withings (had the very first one) to the Index and regretted it everyday since they fixed connectivity. The Withings never failed and just worked.
    I switched because I wanted to consolidate platforms, get rid of the third party software to transfer weight into Connect and I didn't know about the one measurement per day limit. 
    I still miss the weight curve Withings Healthmate did because I weighted in every morning and after long runs (to track sweat loss). The way the app visualized did make it easy to see the overall trend, its a little bit more difficult on Garmin.

All in all: I don't know what Withings you have, but if its providing the same data points like the Garmin, you would pay 120€ for getting the data into Connect. The Index is unter big price fluctuation in Germany, we see price jumps from 90-120€. Would make sense to set a price tracker on it.

Nice side feature: If you weight with the Index, it will write the weight into your watch and edge with the next sync. Calorie calculation will be a little bit more precise.

• I also weight everyday and what I do is just after I update Garmin Connect with the updated weight info. I have a ws-50 Smart Body Analyzer so I get not all the metrics as Garmin's one but... what would I do with all that? Not sure. So unless an eventual Index Scale 2 brings something usual and convenient I will probably stay with my Withings which has proved to be reliable over the years! And I still ger the weight and body fat curves which I do agree are really nice to see the trend!

• I don't see the relevance of what you do with your Withings scale to manually update your Garmin Connect, considering the entire point of the Index is for it to automatically integrate with your Garmin account.

• I didn't see any rumour... do you have a link?

• Where did you read this?

• Het valt mij op dat de weegschaal nergens meer te verkrijgen is, behalve in 3 Coolblue winkels (online uitverkocht). Misschien is er idd een nieuw model onderweg. Ik wacht (ongeduldig) af. 

• It seems to me that the index is sold out in many places. Maybe there is a new model in its way. I’m awaiting news, not patiently.