This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Index Scale - muscle, bone mass and body algorithm is wrong?!

Hello,

I got my Index Scale yesterday in order to have a better integration with Garmin ecosistem.

First impression: measurements (yesterday evening around 6 pm) are totally different from my Tanita scale and my body fat is lower.

Muscle: Garmin = 31 kg, Tanita 57 kg

Bone mass: Garmin 4.4 kg, Tanita 3 kg

Body water: Garmin 58.6% Tanita 54.5%

Body fat: Garmin 19.7%, Tanita 21%

Then I started to read how Index scale is measuring this and ok...the muscle mass is the skeletal muscle and the bone mass is the 'dry bone mass' so let's say I understand this.

But this morning my Index scale is showing quite the same bodyfat which isn't should be OK - in the morning I always have and increase of body fat around 2.5%-3% as water evaporates during sleep and I've also eat the dinner.

So...has Garmin discovered a new way to measure bodyfat using BIA or their algorithm is quite broken?!

• I see exactly the same differences.

My guess is that Garmin isn't as accurate, as it doesn't have the "handles" Tanita have.

I have come to live with it, as you can still see the development in your numbers.

• I also think its normal. If you measure from foot to foot, you won't get much data of abdomen and torso. Don't expect to count in the arms.

Its physics, electricity will take the way with the smallest resistance.