This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Weight seems wrong

OK I have two scales in the house, my Garmin and an old one, albeit digital. The old scale is stating I am 3kg heavier than my Garmin! Is there anyway I can check the Garmin is actually correct?

EDIT: I guess I could weigh something that I know the weight of (some gym weights maybe!?) and compare.
  • Gym weights can be grossly inaccurate as well. But generally, yes, putting some reference load on the scale should be a good method. Must be relatively heavy, though, as some body scales do not cope well with small measurements. But the easiest method would be to try another two or three scales of different brands. Hopefully, most of them will agree on your weight, and this way you will know which scale is a liar :)
  • It would be fun to put a dumbbell or other metal weight on it and see what the weight is, and the fat content, water content etc is. Just curious.
  • I bought a garmin scale. Compared to my old scale there is a difference of 3 kg. On the Garmin my weight is heavier :-(. So I took three bottles of water (each 1.5 kg) and tried again, but the difference between my weight and the weight with the water is on both scales the same and nearly exact. So there is no hint which scale is the liar. Therefore I am looking for experience with the exactness of the the garmin scale. Any experience?
  • Do both scales zero out to 0 with no weight on the scale? I posted in the "scale wont zero" thread and the difference I was seeing on my Garmin scale was 6.4lbs between a regular scale and my Garmin scale. I realized when I just tapped the scale on there was already weight on the Garmin scale and it read 6.4lbs (2.9kg) the Garmin would not zero no matter what I tried. When weighing myself on both scales the Garmin would again repeatedly show my weight 6.4lbs more than the regular scale.

There seems to be a growing number of these threads about over reading of the weight, I wonder if they are all related to the scale not zeroing when empty (no weight)? Garmin eventually replaced my scale under warranty after trying multiple fixes unsuccessfully my replacement will arrive this week. I will keep you posted.
  • There is a difference of 0.5kg between the measurements standing with my feet in the front part of the scale or in the back part of the scale. Does anybody else observe such differences?
  • This is EXACTLY what is happening to mine, including with the 6.4 lb reading with nothing on it!

• I can see 1kg difference just changing my position over the scale, incomprehensible