This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Body fat stuck at 7%

Since a couple of days the scale measures my body fat at 7% which is definitely wrong (to low). My activity class is set to 8. Any suggestions so solve this problem? Did a reset yesterday but that didn't help.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

So glad for these forums.  I almost wasted money on one. 

• Just a suggestion:

After you change activity level, weigh yourself at least a couple of times. This will help the scale to sync with the new settings.

I read replies of users saying that bodyfat % is stuck, no matter what activity level is choosen. I think this is caused because the new settings are not uploaded to the scale immediately when first powered up, rather after a few restarts.

Those of you who are stuck please change to a lower activity level, like 7 or 4 and yourself a few times to see if anything changes.

Please report back

• I was having the same issue with my body fat stuck at 7%, albeit for only 4 days. My body fat had been slowly decreasing after I had been actively trying to lose body fat over 2-3 months. My activity level was set at 8 which was consistent with the guidance provided by Garmin on the average hours of training per week.

Following the suggestions on this thread, I set my activity level to 7 through Garmin Connect via PC online and then made sure that the scales' software was updated using the Garmin Connect app via WiFi.

After that, my body fat jumped from 7% to 8.4% the next day, then 9.9% the next day after that. It has since stabilized to around 8 - 8.5% over the last month so changing my activity level to 7 seems to have worked.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

Does anyone has news about it?

I have a ticket open in the Garmin Support: more than a month has gone and no answer, no even a feedback or a contact to perform a test.

I changed the activity level using every way possible (including from Garmin Sports platform, which has an automatic level adjustment), and nothing changed.

During some the tests I created a second test user with the same info as my main account and invited in GC to use the scale: this user has shown fat % around 14%, more realistic for me. But after some play with accounts, both got stuck in 7%. I couldn't replicate the same situation: fresh account isn't stuck until you travel to 8 or more.

In main account I also changed my height and my gender, and the fat % also changed. The age has no impact over the measurement. It shows the scale receives parameter changes, except the activity class.

I have nothing more to try and figure it out were the problem is happening. Does anyone tried some different?

• I opened a support ticket. After submitting logs to them, they told me it’s an issue that isn’t able to be fixed and they offered a refund. I just want a working unit.  @garminblake Please replace it instead of a refund. 

• Just bought these scales and have the same 7% problem. I've just tried changing my activity level from 6 to 7 so I'll see if that changes anything :/

• I've never had a Garmin Index Smart Scale ever read anything other than 7.0% body fat. I've tried two.

I'd adjust my activity level, but I cannot locate that setting any longer (didn't it appear in Garmin Connect for IOS at one time?).

I'm lean, true, but not medically low. The fact that it never varies even one-tenth of a percent seems unlikely. I've wondered if it is just showing its lowest setting, if that means I'm actually lower (which means I'm getting into a risky zone of too little) and it's hiding that for medical device liability reasons, ... but no, I have no real ideas.

• For months mine is stuck at 7%. I've change age to be 35, 73 and 100. At activity levels 100 for each age is says 7%. At activity level 5 and 1 for age 100 it finally changed to 7.8% and 7.9%, respectively. the bone, muscle and water appear to change as the should for all variations I've tried.