This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Oh please help me with the WRENCH before I trow the towel on the Index!

Hello Garmin pals

Have to say first, I've been a loyal Garmin user first with the GPS, and for the past years because of my running activities.

I put my eyes on the Index since last year. Went three different times to the only Garmin store in Miami during my vacations trying to convince myself to unload $150 + taxes on the scale; the third time was the charm, two weeks ago.

Please keep in mind I read all the Index WiFi Setup / Wrench related post before writing this.

Nothing more frustrating, and un-Garmin-like, than the Index Scale Setup process - at least in my case.

At first tried the setup process using the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone, but the process never got past the screen where the WiFi password is introduced. It goes straight after that to the Snapshot screen, I believed it was done but the screen was stuck with the BIG WRENCH (OF DEATH) and WiFi icon never stoped blinking.

I never reached to the (HOLY GRAIL OF) Large Check Icon described in the FAQ: https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/XceJcmTNkaAWWzCzaMIpk8

Tried again, several times. Reseting the Index, removing the device from Garmin Connect (app and website), removing the batteries, switching to LB, to Stones, to KG; I changed my WiFI (Apple Airport Extreme) SSID, with spaces, no spaces, changed the WiFi password, WPA, WPA2, no password.

Then, I ordered a USB ANT+ Stick online - didn't want to go back to the store (yet) as I knew I would ask for a return of my money; this in order to perform the setup process via PC with the Garmin Express application.

The Garmin Express recognized the USB ANT+ and detected the Index, past the WiFi password window, and everything went neat on the Garmin Express... but, BIG WRENCH (OF DEATH) was still on the screen, with the WiFi icon blinking.

I was tired, and left it blinking for the whole day. BUT then I noticed on the Garmin Connect website the Index software version was 3.0 - I now for sure that mine came with version 2.7 as I saw the big 2.7 on the screen during several resets.

So the Index is connecting via WiFi as it automatically downloaded and upgraded itself.

But why is still the setup process unfinished and the BIG WRENCH (OF DEATH) is still on the screen with the WiFi icon blinking?

I have not managed to use the scale other than to show me my weight when I step on it, without this being uploaded or synced to Garmin Connect, not other data is shown when tapping it with my feet.

Guys, any last recommendation? Before I return it.

I really want it to work, it wanted it for several months, but now that I have it...

Thanks in Advance

Neil
  • Greetings from sunny Sakhalin!

Has anyone managed to solve the mystery of the "wrench"? My Index worked just fine before I left it turned off for a month. When I turned it on again, I found that it no longer transmits data to the Garmin connect. I reset the scale settings, and now this "wrench" will not disappear. I reset the settings a dozen times so far, deleted and reinstalled the mobile application, obviously, to no avail. I would appreciate some advice from the community, please

Thank you and have a good weekend ahead Everyone
  • This is what I did to set up my scale. Hopefully it will work for you.

Remove the batteries.
    Keep batteries out for ~15 seconds.
    Replace batteries and cover.
    The Wrench icon will be displayed.
    The Bluetooth, Ant+ and Wi-fi icons will be blinking.
    Press the Reset button.
    Press the WPS button on your Router.

This worked for me...with a different router though. Thank you!
  • Wow. Garmin sent me another scale as I have been struggling with an older Garmin scale that was working until I traveled for two weeks and when I returned the dread Wrench icon would not go away. Sounds like it is a router issue? I now have two Index scales that are stuck in "Wrench mode."
  • You as on Garmin Index owner can INVITE up to 15 people to use your weight. It passes as invitation to their Garmin Connect account. After you invite them (via Garmin Connect app or web) they have to accept your invitation first before it will be available to them.

I am here on this forum because after re-installing router firmware I had problems connecting my Garmin Index to wifi. My problems were solved by forced factory reset (holding 5s RESET button), removing Index from Connect devices and re-adding. It is also noted that Index as able to connect to dedicated Wifi WPA2 PSK TKIP encrypted wifi so I assume there may be problem with WPA2 PSK CCMP encryption I use on main ESSID. I created separate ESSID with client isolation just for purpose of IoT devices like Amazon Paperwhite, Garmin 920XT or Garmin Index devices - to ensure basic security if those devices are compromised.

Yes, I understand that. But once I invited someone, he attempted to follow the onscreen instructions to add himself to the scale and guess what? After he accepted the invitation and added himself to the scale, I DISAPPEARED! :-0 That's the problem.
  • Worked for me as well. Smile

• Hi, Not sure if this helps..

I bought my Garmin Index Scale yesterday.. and would like for Garmin to know I have spent close to 8 hours  trying to find solutions on web and forums..

The answer; Garmin developers only allowed for short non complcated ( no special characters and or capital letters) password length 8

• I have the same problem and HAVE tried all listed in this blog..... to no avail.   Did you ever get a resolution?  Maybe an update?  HELP!!!

• Hi  to all,

I continued investigation and went through all the published resolves , I now know what the issue is and this also applies to Fitbit W-iFI scales too.

It is the capability of the Wi-Fi unit in the Index scales.. the hardware is old technology updated to receive g and N protocols, but 802.11b is there in the back ground.

IF you have a fast Wi-Fi you have obviously turned off 802.11b so after the initial setup which always works without  802.11b enable, then stops as the core program relies on 802.11b to submit and ping.. This is why when using an hotspot on your smartphone works because it run 802.11b  and obviously less secure passwards

so unfortunately, as I do not want a security breach and a much slower wi-fi speeds, I will not buy these scales for the moment

• It gets stuck on the wrench on pure 802.11b networks as well. 802.11b does not have less secure passwords, that's handled by a supplicant, separate to the core 802.11 protocol.

• I did try it with this and all other suggestions here. Anything which can be done? For me the scale has become useless as it is now.