This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Oh please help me with the WRENCH before I trow the towel on the Index!

Hello Garmin pals

Have to say first, I've been a loyal Garmin user first with the GPS, and for the past years because of my running activities.

I put my eyes on the Index since last year. Went three different times to the only Garmin store in Miami during my vacations trying to convince myself to unload $150 + taxes on the scale; the third time was the charm, two weeks ago.

Please keep in mind I read all the Index WiFi Setup / Wrench related post before writing this.

Nothing more frustrating, and un-Garmin-like, than the Index Scale Setup process - at least in my case.

At first tried the setup process using the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone, but the process never got past the screen where the WiFi password is introduced. It goes straight after that to the Snapshot screen, I believed it was done but the screen was stuck with the BIG WRENCH (OF DEATH) and WiFi icon never stoped blinking.

I never reached to the (HOLY GRAIL OF) Large Check Icon described in the FAQ: https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/XceJcmTNkaAWWzCzaMIpk8

Tried again, several times. Reseting the Index, removing the device from Garmin Connect (app and website), removing the batteries, switching to LB, to Stones, to KG; I changed my WiFI (Apple Airport Extreme) SSID, with spaces, no spaces, changed the WiFi password, WPA, WPA2, no password.

Then, I ordered a USB ANT+ Stick online - didn't want to go back to the store (yet) as I knew I would ask for a return of my money; this in order to perform the setup process via PC with the Garmin Express application.

The Garmin Express recognized the USB ANT+ and detected the Index, past the WiFi password window, and everything went neat on the Garmin Express... but, BIG WRENCH (OF DEATH) was still on the screen, with the WiFi icon blinking.

I was tired, and left it blinking for the whole day. BUT then I noticed on the Garmin Connect website the Index software version was 3.0 - I now for sure that mine came with version 2.7 as I saw the big 2.7 on the screen during several resets.

So the Index is connecting via WiFi as it automatically downloaded and upgraded itself.

But why is still the setup process unfinished and the BIG WRENCH (OF DEATH) is still on the screen with the WiFi icon blinking?

I have not managed to use the scale other than to show me my weight when I step on it, without this being uploaded or synced to Garmin Connect, not other data is shown when tapping it with my feet.

Guys, any last recommendation? Before I return it.

I really want it to work, it wanted it for several months, but now that I have it...

Thanks in Advance

Neil
  • Hello Garmin pals

Guys, any last recommendation? Before I return it.

I really want it to work, it wanted it for several months, but now that I have it...

Thanks in Advance

Neil

I had a few problems with my scale that were due to the router. The easiest way to test if it is a router problem, is to create a WIFI hotspot with your phone and connect to that one during the setup process.
  • I had a few problems with my scale that were due to the router. The easiest way to test if it is a router problem, is to create a WIFI hotspot with your phone and connect to that one during the setup process.

Dear Camillo, thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I tried your recommendation, Personal Hotspot with my iPhone to no avail...

I also brough the Index to my office, and tried to set it up with our office router (Linksys brand), also - and unfortunately, unsuccessful - same behavior as with my Home Router.

I think there's nothing else to do now, but to return it or request an RMA. SAD

Thanks for your support

With Regards
  • You might try a factory reset (if you haven't done that already) - Pressing reset button for 5 seconds

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/C07rc3l1pF2GhSj3budDC6
  • Yep, indeed... several times tried and factory reseted the Index, to no avail, sadly.
  • thank you!

You might try a factory reset (if you haven't done that already) - Pressing reset button for 5 seconds

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/C07rc3l1pF2GhSj3budDC6

The reset totally worked for me...and turning off the Bluetooth on my mobile while trying to connect. Thanks
  • The reset totally worked for me...and turning off the Bluetooth on my mobile while trying to connect. Thanks

Did turn off bluetooth on all devices in my house: iPhone, MacBook, mouse, iPad, Garmin fénix 3, everything... set up the Scale for the n-th time via ANT, to no avail.

Thanks for the input
  • This is what I did to set up my scale. Hopefully it will work for you.

Remove the batteries.
    Keep batteries out for ~15 seconds.
    Replace batteries and cover.
    The Wrench icon will be displayed.
    The Bluetooth, Ant+ and Wi-fi icons will be blinking.
    Press the Reset button.
    Press the WPS button on your Router.
  • Now to add another user without deleting original user?

Great suggestions everyone,

Now--anyone want to help add an additional user without deleting the first one? I have followed the meager instructions, but it always asks me if I want to reset the scale entirely--which deletes the original user (me). Now I cannot add me back!
  • Now to add another user without deleting original user?
    Now--anyone want to help add an additional user without deleting the first one? I have followed the meager instructions, but it always asks me if I want to reset the scale entirely--which deletes the original user (me). Now I cannot add me back!

You as on Garmin Index owner can INVITE up to 15 people to use your weight. It passes as invitation to their Garmin Connect account. After you invite them (via Garmin Connect app or web) they have to accept your invitation first before it will be available to them.

I am here on this forum because after re-installing router firmware I had problems connecting my Garmin Index to wifi. My problems were solved by forced factory reset (holding 5s RESET button), removing Index from Connect devices and re-adding. It is also noted that Index as able to connect to dedicated Wifi WPA2 PSK TKIP encrypted wifi so I assume there may be problem with WPA2 PSK CCMP encryption I use on main ESSID. I created separate ESSID with client isolation just for purpose of IoT devices like Amazon Paperwhite, Garmin 920XT or Garmin Index devices - to ensure basic security if those devices are compromised.
  • Just bought one. Tried every including adjust router setting / dns ... could not get data upload via my ASUS AC88U & Apple Airport Express.

Works fine on my iPhone hotspot though.

Please update the firmware to fix it.