This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SETUP ISSUE: Scale can pair, but timeout at connect to WiFi -- Kludge fix

I found setup of the Garmin scale to be a nightmare. I had no problem pairing the scale, but then the scale would timeout rather than connect to my home WiFi, so I could not complete the setup process.

Tech support was very patient and we tried: (1) an iOS phone; (2) an Android phone; (3) a Win 7 computer; and (4) a Win 10 computer. I have two different WiFi networks bridged together and it was the same for both routers. Finally, we tried removing the password from the router and that permitted me to complete setup.

Since the scale is now happily on my WiFi network, I probably can add the password back to the router, but would then have to disable the password again each time the scale needs to login to the network (e.g. after battery change or if the router lost power). Since that’s such a rare occurrence, this is not the worst kludge.

Just a head’s up in case anyone else runs into this and wants to save two hours on the phone with tech support!
  • Try connecting to your mobile hotspot on your phome. Make sure you turn off wifi in your phone so that you’re using mobile data. This worked for me after my Index stopped connecting to my wifi network after using it for 2 years.  I can see my wifi network during set up if I move the Index around in different orientation but then it will not recognize my password. Weird.  I tried the mobile hotspot solution instead and it works but that means i have to turn on my hotspot everytme i use the Index. 

• For me it was my fitness pal! Thanks guys. I got connected to my scales firstly a few months ago now and I’ve just had a broadband upgrade to fibre and after trying to reset and reconnect I managed to get connected to the new network but it would get rid of that wrench symbol so I simply disconnected my fitness pal from my garmin connect app and it has connected straight away. I’m sure you can connect to my fitness pal afterwards and the WiFi should still connnet.

• You saved my day! After wasting over one hour of my time I stumbled over your post and gave it a try. Instead of using my Nexus 5x I used my Nexus 9 (Tablet) and as in your case it worked in the first try.

The best is it works now with the untouched Guest Wifi SSID and Password!

Thx again.

• I have this same problem, it would be nice to get this fixed as I really don't like using or trust the Comcast DNS from a selling my data perspective.

• I use the Index scale for 2 years now, all of a suddent 10 days ago it stopped working. It does not connect to Wifi.

I ahve been trying for the last 10 days to get it to connect, I have tried 2 different routers, and I have activated the guest network without a password, even tried the mobile hotspot.

NOTHING WORKS.  

Worse that junk - I have had it with Garmin.  

Why can;t they get the scale to connect to the phone via bluetooith and transfer the data like this? 

Is there any othe scalle in the amrket that will work with Garmin Connect (or any other app that will appily transfer the data to Garmin connect)?

• That's a really weird issue... But as you said, I changed my DNS resolver to Google's or my ISP's and everything worked...

• I started having this issue after moving and getting Verizon's new router (white modern looking one.) After turning off SON and DFS channels ( I think SON is what did it), I was able to connect successfully. 

Settings link: www.verizon.com/.../routermanagement

• when change phone, delete the old scale device from garmin connect and then re-add and then it will sync with the new phone and auto get wifi from the phone.... that resolved my add wifi errors.