This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Index Scale - Problems out of the box

Before you buy that bitchin' new Garmin Fitness​ index scale for Christmas...Here are my first impressions:

The set up on this seems very simple and straight forward out of the box. However, wi-fi and Bluetooth connection problems have turned what should be a very cool scale into a minor pain in the ass.

I've already returned one scale because the Bluetooth didn't connect. The data is supposed to sync via wi-fi but after getting a replacement scale that the data does not sync to Garmin Connect Mobile. I finally for the Wi-Fi to work on the 2nd scale and had to leave it on overnight when, at some point, it finally did an over the air software update to version 2.30.0.0. Also, I find that I have to keep resetting the Wi-Fi connection through Garmin Connect Mobile, because even though the data is showing on the Garmin Connect desktop site it does NOT show on Garmin Connect Mobile.

Another issue was with adding a "guest" user (my wife). When I had to reset the connection, her connection was completely lost in the scale even though the scale still showed up in her Garmin Connect. The scale didn't have her listed as a user so it wouldn't send her data to Garmin Connect. After trying to reset it over and over again, signing out and back in to Garmin Connect Mobile and desktop, turning phones off and on again...I still wasn't able to re-add my wife.

I'll go back home after work and try to reset everything again. If I can't, I'll call support before returning this 2nd scale. I really want it to work because I like the idea of having my body data all in the same place as my activities. But so far, this seems like a typical Garmin hardware launch where major disappointments in performance immediately present themselves.

UPDATE 12/1/15: Yesterday there was an update to Garmin Connect Mobile which appears to have helped the set up process and the refresh by pulling down on the weight screen on GCM. My scale is now operating correctly for both my wife and me. Although it is about a 1/2 pound different than our old scale. We are just going with it. I just hope it doesn't become disconnected so I have to go through all of that again. Fingers crossed.
  • I'd be interested in any further updates that you have, especially now that you're on updated firmware.

One point I would make is that the new Garmin Connect Mobile app does show a bit of a lag updating certain fields at the moment. I've noticed with recently uploaded activities, it will show up immediately in the "Most recent activity" summary at the top of each "Snapshot" page (as Garmin call them) but it won't be included in the little 30 day history chart at the bottom until quite some time later.

So when you say the weight data is showing up on Garmin Connect Desktop but not on the Mobile app then I suspect it's a similar issue where the app is simply not updating all these fields every time you load up the page, thus not an issue with the scales per se.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you iron out all the issues!
  • Same, I am on the fence about whether I should buy this or not. Unfortunately, not many seem to own it at this stage- thank you for sharing your initial experience, please do keep us in the loop as to how you get on!
  • Set up issues

Excited to find this on shelf at Best Buy today. Got home and the set up seemed to go okay but after completing the wrench keeps flashing on display. Took out batteries, forgot device on Garmin Connect and started set up again. Same thing! Blue Tooth, ANT and WiFi flashing.

Any ideas?
  • ANT Wireless Signal Status Icon is Blinking

After setting up yesterday and the scale not working, put it away. Brought it out this morning and the wrench is still on the screen and the ANT Wireless Signal Status Icon is blinking. I removed the batteries and left them out for 5 minutes. I did a hard reset by holding in the reset button on the back after I put them back in. I removed the device from Garmin connect on my phone and reinstalled. I forgot the network and then reattached to the WiFi Network.

You would think that Garmin would have done a better job with the setup process than I'm currently experiencing. Any thoughts out there?
  • After seeing that someone got one at Best Buy, checked my local store and picked one up.

It took less than 5 minutes after getting it out of the box to getting weight on Garmin connect. I used Garmin connect Mobile to set it up. (Garmin Devices, "+", and the scale is under "Other") Had to pick a wifi net, enter the password, and pick a name I wanted to show on the scale. (it already had my weight goal, height, etc)
  • Took me a while to decipher the problem with my scales

After seeing that someone got one at Best Buy, checked my local store and picked one up.

It took less than 5 minutes after getting it out of the box to getting weight on Garmin connect. I used Garmin connect Mobile to set it up. (Garmin Devices, "+", and the scale is under "Other") Had to pick a wifi net, enter the password, and pick a name I wanted to show on the scale. (it already had my weight goal, height, etc)

You have to turn off other Bluetooth devices, took me a while to figure it out but as soon as I powered off my 920xt and fitbit, the scales worked perfectly. I really like the scales and the metrics, mine to seem to be pretty accurate to my other weight/fat scales.
  • My Fitness Pal conflict

Overall set up of the scale was pretty easy for us. My first weight didn't seem to upload correctly. The Garmin Connect app on my phone displayed some "random" other weight from days/weeks ago. It would not display any of the other data (body fat %, water weight, etc.). Then I realized that I still had My Fitness Pal connected. Garmin was taking the weight from MFP every day regardless of if it had been updated recently or not. I don't use MFP anymore so I just shut down the connection (from Garmin Connect to MFP and MFP to Garmin Connect). Today I weighed myself on the Garmin scale and all of the data immediately displayed on the Garmin Connect app on my phone.

The scale is AMAZING. I love it.
  • You have to turn off other Bluetooth devices, took me a while to figure it out but as soon as I powered off my 920xt and fitbit, the scales worked perfectly. I really like the scales and the metrics, mine to seem to be pretty accurate to my other weight/fat scales.

For me, my vivoactive was still connected (GCM wise) and had no problem. Did you have to turn stuff off in the phone settings (not GCM)? Oh, I did have to tap the scale to wake it up before I started the search for it in GCM...
  • Same here...

I got a Index at Best Buy on Black Friday, but same problems as described above. Did not get it to connect to WiFi or BT. Very disappointing, because I really wanted this scale to connect with all the rest of the Garmins. Bought the Withings WS 50 now, as it was on sale. Everything worked right out of the box, connection easy peasy.

I wonder if Garmin actually tests their products before shipping...
  • Difficult time with setup but connecting now

I had to try repeatedly to get the scale set up with wifi. I wish I could be of more help but I don't really know what I did to finally get it to work. It wasn't accepting my router password. I think the solution had something to do with removing the ANT+ dongle.

This morning the scale was registering my weight about 100 lbs off for the first several times stepping on it. I moved the scale around on the tile floor in case it was uneven. It finally registered correctly, recognized me as the user, and went through its calculations.

I'm suspicious that the various measurements aren't being accurate. My weight has fluctuated, but why would my bone and muscle mass have fluctuated so drastically?