This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

S2 Body Fat not accurate

• Consent to be added to an internal case - yes, I consent
  • Consent to access your Garmin Connect account (if needed) -  yes, I consent
  • What device/test are you comparing your Index readings to - Tanita Inner Ccan
  • What does your Index S2 display vs what does your reference device display -  S2 Fat = 17.1 Tanita =10.6
  • What is your activity class set to, and is this appropriate for your activity level - 8 - Yes
  • Well this is just straight out false marketing / scam.

During April I lost 6 cm of waist and 2,17kg of body weight, but according to my scale I'm up 0.3% body fat in the same period.

All my lifts at the gym is going good, so its not that i lost that much muscle mass.

If I compare this with the navy method I lost about 3% body fat, which seems more reasonable.

So for real Garmin, you must fix the algorithm. This is just not acceptable, and by judging an easy google search, a lot of people have the same issue.

Its not good publicity.

• Has anyone gotten a refund based on this issue?

• I think that depends on the jurisdiction in your country.

• I recently bought a garmin  index S2, it shows my body fat as 28.9%.

This is not even close to my real body fat which is 22-23 (I'm consulting a nutrition and diat experts).

is it a bug? is there a fix? this scale is too expensive for having this flaw. If it cannot measure it correctly it should not be displayed..

• I could not agree more with this. My Tanita BC1000+ that I've had for who knows how many years has always been a consistent 6-8%. Yesterday I was 160lbs 8.1% on the trusty Tanita. Garmin 160lbs 18.1%. The muscle mass was different for both as well and level of hydration.

• I have been using an s1 scale for years now, and it currently shows a more or less correct BF% in the 18-19% range (I 'know' this is correct by e.g. comparing my body to picture scales or by calculating it via waste/hip/neck measurement ratios.)

My wife bought me an s2... 22%+ BF.  I change my activity level to 8 from 7, the s1 now shows my BF at 12+% (something I know it does) and the s2... 22+%.

Wipe my feet down, dry, try again:  22%.

Move the scale (s2):  22%... and now my weight is 4 lbs higher.

Start Googling, and apparently, this is an incredibly well-known issue that has been ongoing for over a year.

Also, I have to dance a jig to get it to turn on.  Sometimes it takes me literally a full minute of fiddling a round to turn it on.

WTF, Garmin? You're better than this.

• I recently bought a garmin  index S2, it shows my body fat as 28.9%.

This is not even close to my real body fat which is 22-23 (I'm consulting a nutrition and diat experts).

is it a bug? is there a fix? this scale is too expensive for having this flaw. If it cannot measure it correctly it should not be displayed..

While I know this isn't exactly a great answer, what I do is just remember how much it's wrong by (in your case about 6.5%) and then just subtract that in my head every time it gives me a BF reading in the future.

My scale has always been WAY off too (reads 22-23% when I'm actually around 14%) and that's what I do, I just assume by BF% is really 8% lower than what the scale tells me.

Kinda dumb that I have to do that, but since Garmin isn't fixing this known issue, it just is what it is.

• Looking to get some input on this issue. I see there have been other posts but theres not much as far as updates from Garmin

I have used both an InBody impedance based scale and a Bod Pod and my BF with both tests was 14-15%. My brand new (20 July 2022) Garmin Index S2 says I am at 23% BF...

Honestly I am shocked a 160$ scale is this wildly wrong. If there is not a solution I will look to return and use my old Walmart scale that gives me my weight just fine and only cost $20. 

• It's never worked right. There's no new news on that. Safe to assume at this point that they've abandoned their efforts to fix it.

Best hope is that hopefully it'll be resolved on Index 3.

• And the hope for a free upgrade to Index 3 to all the users that have an opened ticket for more than a year. It haven't ever worked fine.