Failure in pedal body/ cleat attachment?

I had a crash when I popped out of a pedal in a sprint interval. I thought it might be a worn cleat, but the pedal was actually broken. The non- broken pedal also seemed to have unusual wear. Has anyone else experienced something similar? These pedals are about 6-7 months old and I was using the red cleats.

• What was expected, everyone already realized that these pedals have a mediocre quality, so nothing surprises me

• Yes I run into the exact same problem with 2 pair of pedals already... The body just get worn out after few months of usage. Now, whenever I pull on the pedal, I unclip.

• The pedal bodies can wear and they are replaceable for that reason.

There are several things going on from these pictures. The right pedal has minimal wear compared to the left, but it does looks like it has a material failure in the spring retention system. I would suggest contacting Garmin Support about that and see what they say.

The left pedal body has a lot of wear. I would recommend checking you cleat position. To get that type of wear you are likely up against the float limit and also have some heal rotation where it rotates out during the pedal stroke.

What type of cleats are you using? Some brands have hardened the cleat surface. This can result in the pedal body wearing instead of the cleat.

As with all bike equipment I would recommend periodical inspecting your pedals so that you can spot any significant wear and replace them before any incident. 

• Thank you for your thoughts. I was using the red cleats which were provided.  It's interesting to note that the garmin red cleats have 6 degrees of float and their grey cleats have 0 degrees. Shimano's red cleats have zero float but their yellow cleats have 6 degrees.

I wonder if having lots of float is better for wear or worse?

I will definitely be checking all of my pedals regularly for wear. I was lucky to have a minor accident. While I did ruin a shoe, I didn't hit the ground or break a collarbone.

• Happy to hear that you did not hit the ground.

• The pedal bodies are crap I’ve had numerous sets of them I just kept sending them back to garmin for exchange. It’s pretty poor for a pair of pedals they cost £700 plus. I have complained that the material is to soft and that’s why they wear so quickly , generally I get 6 months. They are worse with 0 float cleats

• Hi, I have same problem. Do you get exchange FOC? I am being told its £260 for 2 new bodies. its my second set, first were warranty exchange. Not sure i want to pay 260 every year?!?

• Have you checked your Cleat alignment. Mine last several years. I've not worn out a V3 yet but I was close to having worn some V2's after 5 years or so. I thought this was reasonable.