This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Vector 3 Bolt Failure: Request for information on torque specification & prevention from Garmin

Bought my pedals 10 days ago, on my morning commute the right pedal failed (see picture), essentially meaning I was no longer clipped in. The bolt that failed is a small Torx screw, that isn't common on multi-tools, so roadside repair is a no-go. 

Image: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByGb0U_ItVPES0QwZTBObDNDTE9GdFhZc0VGY1Fja25PdGFR 

2nd Link: https://ibb.co/b3r32bD

Local bike shop is going to replace the pedal. I'm not sure what advice to give, as the screw has blue loctite on the thread, so I suspect advising people to tighten their bolts could break the seal causing it to loosen later. I don't know what the torque specification is, so there's also a danger of stripping the plastic threads. Perhaps a dab of tipex so you can visually inspect to see if it's winding loose & daily inspection. Another option could be Loctite red, but that would mean the bolt is permanently fixed, I'm assuming there's a service reason it's not as-per Shimano (a non-threaded permanent bolt). 

Garmin - what is your advice to prevent this from happening, and what is the correct torque for this bolt?

• I have mine for about 5 days, I went to check it, and they were relatively loose, so I think it is a failure and very serious at any time in a stronger sprint for example, this happening can put a cycling with serious injuries.
    What is the most effective solution to avoid this, since the screws actually have blue glue to prevent this from happening and even so it is happening

• I think it's a design flaw, the bolt is essentially a pivot under constant movement (particularly if you commute with them). It isn't sealed, so dirt can work in creating friction, which will loosen the bolt. I think with the threads being plastic you can't go past a certain torque. This is why my Shimano pedals are designed in such a way that the pivot can't unscrew.

Certainly is very dangerous (I commute in London traffic), I'd like Garmin to comment on the correct way to solve this, and torque specifications. 

Over the phone my LBS told me they'd had other instances of this happening, and offered to screw it back in. I declined an asked for a new pedal on the basis the threads are probably damaged, so it could work loose again.  

• If the threads are plastic then how stupid is it to put blue glue from metallic threads ???? Something here is not quite right.

I will pickup your photo and put in another forum, where people is more active 

• @jolyongray   We would ask that you, or any other user who sees this occur to reach out to us directly at support.garmin.com so we can investigate this with you. We may need to gather information from you and coordinate an exchange and we cannot handle this in the public forum.

We take complaints like this very seriously and will make sure to escalate this appropriately and find the most suitable resolution for you.