Firmware 3.80 spikes and drop-outs

My Vector 3's have been bulletproof since purchase 3 months ago. I've never experienced drop-outs or spikes.

Since updating them two days ago to 3.80 they no longer function as a usable power meter.

I've noticed spikes and drop-out appear related to both large change in cadence (coasting/spin) and power (accelerations from corners). Steady operation seems to settle things until changes occur.

• The initial update appeared on my EDGE 530 but wouldn't complete via the edge
  • Updated finally through Garmin Connect Android App.
  • Have reset pedals (removed batteries)
  • Batteries are only a week old and are lightly oiled per the manual
  • Disable Cycling Dynamics - no effect
  • Tried to disable TE/PS - Change didn't seem to be applied

Has anyone else had similar problems?

• Have you disconnected the pedals from Garmin Connect when the update was finished? Duplicate connections with GC and Edge/Forerunner are always a source for problems.

• i only can tell you, FW 3.80 on dualsided V3 is working without any probs for me!

you only oiled or you cleaned battery doors and contacts with alcohol?

mean, to much oil could be a prob like you have!

• Yes, exactly the same problems: updated to 3.80 on my dual-sided Vector 3 via my Edge 820 (fw 11.20).  Pedals are approx. 12 months old with new battery door design and are replacement units for originals that fell to bits internally.  Started getting dropouts exactly as you describe after changes in cadence or power or after coasting.  Steady pressure (say on a long hill climb) stays connected.

I thought it was a dying battery (C1/3n), so replaced with brand new Duracell lr44s with a dab of baby oil.  The problem persisted as bad as ever.  I reckon I only recorded about 60% of the ride, often with spikes in power on reconnection.

Here’s a screenshot of power and cadence on today’s ride:

• Same for me. After 15 months of flawless performance, since upgrading to 3.80 I now get massive spikes and dropouts, particularly noticeable after a period of coasting. I notice that these are not ANT+ dropouts as the device never disconnects and reconnects so I am sure it's not an issue with battery or power supply and I am convinced it's an issue with the firmware update. 

Is there a way to revert to the previous firmware?

• I had two good rides after the update. Since then uncountable right sensor missing warnings (most of the time with instant reconnection), a few power spikes, multiple 0 power readings, and a few cadence spikes.

Very disappointed with the product! I hope this gets fixed very soon! 

• I've had 4 rides since I upgraded to 3.80, and as with you, the first 2 were fine, but the 2 rides since then have had the problems described in OP's message.

Since we cannot revert to an older firmware I am hoping that there is some other workaround for this.

I read someone had reduced problems after disabling auto-zero offset, so I will try that when I am able to.

I hope someone from Garmin will respond to this thread soon as an unnecessary firmware update causing this will be unbearable after flawless performance for so long.

• I am in the same boat.  Spikes, drops - connect/reconnect.  I am considering bringing my Vector 2 out of retirement.

• I've just completed a 2 hour ride with zero problems. Last night I looked at the Vector sensor settings in my Edge 820 and performed a reset install angles and switched off and on the auto zero reset and then left it off for the ride. I'll switch the auto zero reset back on for the next ride and see what happens, but hopefully this is a viable workaround.

• I did a ride yesterday and tried these two settings in a systematic way.  First, performed a reset install angles, and then started riding (indoors, with a Tacx Flux 2, and Zwift, all using ANT+).  Same dropouts and reconnections, especially after sprinting or a heavy effort.  Seems the install angles made no difference.

I then paused the ride, turned off auto zero, and then started riding again (I didn't end the ride on the Edge/Zwift, simply continued on).  This seemed to make a difference - no dropouts for 30 more minutes of riding and several sprint efforts.

I'm about to do another ride today to see if this persists,  If so, then it's definitely something to do with the auto-zero feature.  I'll post back after the ride to update.

• Hmm inconclusive results, unfortunately.  Still had a lot of dropouts, but seemed to be different to previous rides.  Dropouts were shorter in duration with quick reconnections. I’m not convinced that this particular ride, indoor on a trainer, wasn’t influenced by interference from wifi devices operating at 2.4GHz.

I’ll need to do another ride away from radio interference to be sure.